YAHOO!!! ABU SIMBEL - gonna make it!

Sep 22nd, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

YAHOO!!! ABU SIMBEL - gonna make it!

Thank you everyone for your input and my dilema. We have revamped, rearranged and spent more $! We are doing the 10 day tour, with the Abu option. This tour gives us an overnite in the "New Winter Palace" in Luxor - can someone familiarize me with the Old 'vs' New Winter Palace, are they next to each other or what? We will also be staying at the Nile Hilton in Cairo, which I preferred the location over that of the Sheraton Garden that was on the 8 day tour. So I think this will all be worth it. I have driven the travel agent nutz on this! I dont like missing out!

Sep 22nd, 2004, 01:25 PM

Great news! I'm sure you won't regret adapting your plans to fit in the trip to Abu Simbel. As I mentioned in your earlier thread, it was a real highlight of my recent trip to Egypt.

From memory, the two hotels you refer to in Luxor are next to each other, on the Corniche with front rooms overlooking the Nile. I think the hotels share the same facilities. I didn't stay in either but I did hear that the "Old" was considered the better choice being more interesting and having more character and romantic feel. It is a historic hotel built in Victorian times to attract Europe's rich. That said, I'm sure the "New" will be a decent upmarket hotel (certainly by Egyptian standards!)
Sep 23rd, 2004, 04:30 AM
rfb

The new Winter Palace was built during the Egypt/Soviet partnership. It is depressing. It adjoins the Old Winter Palace and shares all the facilities.

It all depends on what you want out of a hotel. If all you require is a clean place to stay and sleep, it will be satisfactory. If you're looking for something more, see if you can upgrade to the Old wing.

Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:17 AM

The old winter palace is worn down but has a ton of character and the rooms and baths are huge with high ceilings.
Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Its depressing? That doesn't sound good. I will see about moving next door, if nothing else it sounds like we get to see the Old place anyway.
Sep 27th, 2004, 10:45 AM

Jeepsterchick - what agency/tour group are you travelling with?
Sep 27th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Going with Gate 1 over Thanksgiving

Search this Thread