Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Would you book this October airfare to NBO/JRO or wait a while? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/would-you-book-this-october-airfare-to-nbo-jro-or-wait-a-while-755115/)

Idnas71 Dec 27th, 2007 01:17 PM

Would you book this October airfare to NBO/JRO or wait a while?

Hello to all and Happy Holidays.

I realize airfare is totally unpredictable and a relative thing, but I still need opinions. Would you jump on this or wait a while?

Found on Orbitz:

St. Louis to Nairobi on Air France. (with an 8 hour layover that I would love to use to visit a place in Paris that I missed out on during a trip there several years
ago... St. Chapelle.)

Then two weeks later on KLM airlines, JRO to Amsterdam, allowing me to spend 4 nights in AMS.

Then finally flying home to St. Louis from Amsterdam.

The fare is $1781.

I've been checking every other day or so and the lowest I've found so far was around $1930-$1950.

Just looking for opinions... I realize you can't predict what prices will end up later on.

Thanks!!!
Sandi

cybor Dec 27th, 2007 01:57 PM

Don't know about you, but those 8 hr. layovers never seem to give me enough time when dealing with delays, transport, security, customs, expected arrival times, etc. etc.

The fair you've listed seems good. Have you checked kayak.com for comps.?

sandi Dec 27th, 2007 02:21 PM

That's the cheapest fare that shows on Kayak and offered by Orbitz.

As to the 8hr layover, unlike Cybor... too long for me, I'd be ready to kill someone; 5/hrs is my limit and that's still pushing it!!! On recent flights, I've actually switch to returning to Newark...ugh (vs JFK) to avoid the all too long layover in AMS. We all have our quirks.

If you wish to go into Paris, remember the time you need to get back to the airport for checkin and go thru security. Intl flight chec-in is at minimum 2.5/hrs. If you have the boarding pass, for ongoing flight, you save yourself some time.

cybor Dec 27th, 2007 04:36 PM

I must learn to articulate better. What I meant was 8hrs. may be not enough time to get out of the airport to explore when considering all the above issues that I poorly stated above.

Yes, I also agree 8 hrs is a killer layover time - won't ever do that again. More than 2 1/2 hrs. for a stop-over is my limit. Thusly, the reason I opted for the non stop (one stays onboard for a fueling stop) from DC to Jburg for my next trip.
I may regret that, as well - it's about 16hrs. of straight plane time. I think my arse shall remain flattened forever. Must remember to load up on drugs.
If, however, the logistics work for you, Idnas, go for it.
Sorry to confuse.

Idnas71 Dec 27th, 2007 07:51 PM

Thanks for the replies.

The Paris layover thing sounds perfect to me because I've been there before, seen nearly all the sights that were important to me, save for one. I was really sorry to have missed visiting St. Chapelle. I think 8 hours would be enough to accomplish that, and a nice lunch, to boot. Of course, I've been wrong before. I'll just say I hope it will be enough time.

Otherwise, an 8-hour layover would seem almost torturous.

I'm going to try and book the air ticket tomorrow. Hoping it will still be available for my dates.

Thanks again.

sandi Dec 28th, 2007 03:59 AM

cybor -

I thought the same on trip JFK/JNB (16/hrs) and then 2/hrs onto CPT...? "Are they crazy?" Guess so, but surprisingly, with that fuel stop (and deplaning of some paxs) at Isle de Sol, Cape Verde broke up the trip with 8/hrs each... felt no pain and managed to sleep.

My longest single leg flights have been 14/hrs SFO/SYD; 12/hrs JFK/NRT and JFK/DXB; again not so terrible. And in all cases, I was bright-eyed and ready to go next morning.

moondoggie Dec 28th, 2007 09:50 AM

I am looking to book September air to NBO, and found $1300 from Chicago R/T. Check out surrounding airports other than STL (like ORD/MDW/MCI/ATL) that would be cheap for you to fly/drive to pick up the long haul flight. The one I found is UA plus Kenya Air via London. Not sure about the layovers--worth checking into, tho.
Also, if you want to see Ste Chappelle, it is best duing a sunny day AND bring your binoculars. You can take the train easily to and from CDG or ORLY.