Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Would you agree with these assessments of Chobe & Sabi Sands?

Would you agree with these assessments of Chobe & Sabi Sands?

Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Would you agree with these assessments of Chobe & Sabi Sands?

In my preliminary research, correct me if I am mistaken, it seems that Sabi Sands is the best part of Kruger, but that Chobe is even better than Sabi Sands. And that possibly the Okavango Delta is superior to Chobe.

Based on that, I was surprised to read these two separate remarks that I came across.

CHOBE (from ATR's site): "These days the park suffers from high visitor traffic and has to be regarded as very much a second rate safari area in comparison with the private concessions around Linyanti and Kwando."

SABI SANDS (from another BBS traveler who does several safaris a year): Stated basically that Sabi Sands traversing rights to some areas (farms) expired a couple of years ago and therefore "The result of all this is that Sabi Sabi has lost its best game viewing area, and is stuck with two areas which do not adjoin."

Would you agree with these comments? Would you put less emphasis on Sabi Sands or Chobe in your itinerary based on these comments? Thanks!
Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:11 PM

I can not speak to Chobe from personal experience, but there are lots of posts on it, I recommend a search.

Okavango is spectacular, I was at Mombo less than a month ago, and it was everything it is reputed to be.

Sabi Sand - the post is referring to one property Sabi Sabi, which has a very small amount of territory and a large number of vehicles, also they have to pass the main Kruger gate to get around their property - that would put a huge dent in the feeling of being away from everything so beloved by those enjoying the safari experience. Other camps in Sabi Sand do not have such problems. My own personal favorite is Mala Mala, but lots of people on this board have recommended other camps highly. I like Mala Mala because of this site, where I can keep up to date with the lives of individual animals that I have seen.

www.malamala.tv
Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:43 PM

Dear ALadyNCal,
My only time in Chobe was at Chobe Chilwero in September 2001, so some time ago. Saw only 2 sleeping lionesses and no other cats, but I absolutely loved the river gamedrives, as a huge variety of wildlife. A bit of traffic on the water, but I can easily live with that if that is my biggest problem. Also loved to see the huge ele herds both in and out of the water. The land gamedrives were not as animal packed and the countryside looked as if it supported huge ele herds, which it did!
These days, and I also do 2 trips a year most years, am a fan of Sabi Sands. My absolute favourite would be MalaMala and I will be there for the 7th time this December. But I also go for a couple of nights to Singita Boulders and this year, I am also to visit Londolozi Founders Camp (Bateleur if I can get in) and Lion Sands Ivory Lodge. I cannot see me giving the Sabi Sands a miss in favour of countries that I started with such as Botswana, Tanzania and Kenya as I love the gameviewing with a passion and I hate the waste of time travelling to other countries as my arrival in J'burg from Australia is never in sync with flights to get anywhere else that day so I end up losing too much of my precious gameviewing time. Although this upcoming trip in December I am actually going via Hong Kong and I arrive early enough that I go to Sabi Sands that day, so I leave Sunday and shall be gameviewing Monday afternoon. Just perfect!

Kaye

Search this Thread