Worth a Trip during Ramadan?

Sep 13th, 2002, 04:49 PM
e

Worth a Trip during Ramadan?

Need Advice!

Booked 4 days in Fez, Morocco during the second week of November. Just found out that Ramadan starts Nov. 5th. Worth our time in Morocco during this month of fasting, restaurants closing, etc? What should we expect? Should we skip this excursion?

Thanks for your feedback!!

Sep 14th, 2002, 08:12 AM
andy

to be avoided...

from the point of food and drinking during the day is a problem

Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:35 PM
Sarabeth

Probably not the best time to go...I have read and was told that there are a few places that will cater to tourists and serve food during the day..however, you will not get the true feeling of the city as it is the rest of the year..it will be a different experience...but between dusk and dawn it should be a real party!!

Sep 23rd, 2002, 06:31 PM
La Reveuse

E,

I was in Morocco last year, and Ramadan started during the last 3 days of our trip.

Expect many people to be irritable until after sundown when they can eat. In Casablanca there were many restaurants/cafes etc that were closed. The exception was Marrakesh where most restaurants, souks, etc. observed normal business hours because of the high concentration of tourists. If you do go have some patience, and don't take it too seriously if people give you dirty looks, or are rude. When we checked into the Sheraton Casablanca we were given less than professional service. When I emailed the manager about this, he apologized and blamed the employee's attitude on the fact that I checked in at 5pm, which was before sunset.

Anyway, I enjoyed Morocco very much, and the souk in Fez is wonderful! Have fun.

Search this Thread