Typhoid

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Typhoid

Are typhoid shots really necessary when traveling to the larger cities in Egypt?
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 01:13 PM

Also, not to hijack the thread, what are folks opinion about typhoid shots for Tanzania/Kenya/Rwanda?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:36 AM

Typhoid shots are a waste of time & money as they aren't very effective. Much easier to take BASIC precautions like knowing the source of your water & washing hands
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:29 AM

Hi coolbaugh7 and martync,

I have been to Kenya and Tanzania, back in 2000 and 2001, and for both places it was recommended by my doctor that I have the typhoid injection. (I live in Australia.) I now mainly travel to South Africa, and I have that injection every 3 years.

I get all my advice from a traveller's medical and vaccination centre, as my local GP does not have the indepth knowledge of what is required for where I travel, and why would she!

I am amazed at people asking medical advice on this forum, as they really should be asked of people who are experts in this area - as not an area to be taken lightly, your good health that is!

In a lot of places, knowing the source of your water and the treatments it has gone through is most likely unknown. I would have thought the BASIC precaution would be to have the shot.

Kind regards,
Kaye
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

I have checked all of the documents that the United States has to offer. It recommends the shot. My husband's doctor says that he really doesn't need the shot. That is where the question comes to mind....How prevelant is typhoid? We have already began the hep a and hep b shots, and we are scheduled for the typhoid.

People that are well traveled usually have some form of insight into what to expect. That is why I placed the question out on the forum. Not to make my final decision, but for viewpoints. Thank you for your insight kayn.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:18 AM

I would get all the shots you can. I'd rather have the shots than take the risk my holiday would be spoiled. With respect to members of this forum (and I hold my own opinions on certain drugs which I have expressed) it's best to get advice from a reliable source. Namely a tropical medicine hospital. Just read your comments Kaye... great minds think alike

I keep all my shots up to date. You never know... you can take all the precautions and something can get through. But you can also take NO precautions and not get ill. I choose to take precautions AND get the shots.

Even "not very effective" suggests there is some level of efficacy?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:03 AM

There is also an oral typhoid vaccine which you take every other day until you have taken a total of four pills. It's kind of a pain to remember to take them but they are effective longer than the shot (5 years vs. 3) though the vaccination is equally effective in both. Is the oral vaccine available where you are?

we took it just because we are on the side of "better to have and not need than need and not have" in life. No side effects, no regrets. It wasn't nearly as expensive as those darn malaria meds
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:07 AM

Agree regarding getting advice from travel clinics but never forget they are businesses too!

Some shots are only necessary for certain regions of countries eg. yellow fever in Zambia, although the doc's advice might just say Zambia = Yellow fever.

Others are only necessary if you are going to stay in an area in a non-touristy way eg. few tourist in safari Africa will ever need rabies

In some cases precautions you have taken can be proved unnecessary once you hit the ground eg. I have stopped taking anti-malarials on a couple of occasions when it was clear that there were no mosquitos around due to dry African winter

IMHO Common sense and asking others are certainly sensible suggestions in addition to travel clinic advice