Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

World Cup 2010 South Africa- need advice for long term safari plan

May 6th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

I just read that the World Cup will be held in South Africa in 2010. Does anyone know what month? I would like to splurge on a safari for my "milestone birthday celebration" that year. I am thinking it might be tough to cash in my FF miles during this time. What other obstacles might I encounter? I remember when we had the Olympics here in LA, all the locals hibernated and traffic was moving better than normal...the city really CLEANED up well too, the opposite of what we had expected.

So I am thinking of doing South Africa in 2008 and Botswana in 2010. Any advice or input welcomed, thanks.
May 6th, 2007, 08:22 AM

At FIFA they are already thinking very loud about giving away the World Cup to another country. So I wouldn't build up my safari plans on this event.
May 6th, 2007, 08:45 AM

Re your question: the 2010 World Cup is planned to run from June 11th until July 11th.
May 6th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Please dont be so negative.
It is going to be great for Southern Africa.Sepp Blatter confirmed this in May.
http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.a...819&sec=sports
I would suggest you start planning your safari in 2008 as some places have already come up with rates for 2010.
May 6th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

I got the ball rolling this week by sending in my passport to have more pages added.

There are so many of you with upcoming trips that I will be waiting to read your reports so I can decide where to go next. For sure, Mala Mala and one other undecided "permanent tented camp" in SA, open to suggestions.
May 6th, 2007, 09:25 AM

I'd avoid anything a month before or after this event. I'm glad I am not the only one with a timeline into 2010.
May 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM

I just begin to plan my 2007 itinerary...
May 6th, 2007, 08:21 PM

SA did a great job hosting the 2003 cricket world cup.......FANTASTIC time!!! fantastic sport!!!

Hari
May 6th, 2007, 11:40 PM

Nobody at FIFA is "thinking very loud about giving away the World Cup to another country". I was recently at FIFA local HQ and things are as positive as ever.

That hasn't prevented all sorts of uninformed speculation. The most recent was some words taken (according to Blatter) out of context, where some "backup countries" were named. That is standard FIFA practice for every such event (including the last in Germany) to cover unexpected major catastrophes. Blatter was scheduled to officially refute those most recent stories, I don't know whether he has done so yet.

When South Africa was given the event they were already ahead of where Germany was at the same stage, and as far as I know that is still the case.
May 7th, 2007, 07:14 AM

I'm not sure the comparison to the Cricket World Cup is a good one--there are expected to be 10 times as many people at the FIFA World Cup in 2010.

South Africa has time, but there are some things that really need to get moving. I understand ground hasn't been broken on the new rail line. Stadium construction and renovations have had some issues. It's not going to be easy, but I think they can get it done. There was a recent article in the Times about the progress. The gist of it was: South Africa has great plans, but they need to put those plans into action. In the article, Blatter was quoted as saying South Africa is Plan A, B & C.

The thing is ... I feel like similar stories were being written about the Athens Olympics. Hopefully it's the standard skepticism and it will end up being a great event.
May 7th, 2007, 07:18 AM

sure a lot more people......but, there were TONS of sub-continent folks at the SA ICC WC!!! We made the finals there in 2003(we should hv bat first and won the cup!!!) and our people from all over the world went to SA. Right now, we are really still in mourning from the 2007 WC!!!

Yeah, point well taken the FIFA cup, is a bigger challenge.
May 7th, 2007, 07:25 AM

My comment to avoid SA for a month before and after is just to avoid the crowds and the people who might book a safari pre- or post- World Cup who would never have thought about it otherwise.

It has nothing to do with my perceptions of South Africa's ability to host such a big event.
May 7th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Lynn, that is exactly what I was questioning, along with it being tough to cash in my FF miles at that time. I am especially interested in your next trip as I am looking for a camp to add to Mala Mala for 2008. I am also going to ask for your recommendations for 2010 Botswana. Thanks
May 7th, 2007, 07:45 AM

pabster: If by "I understand ground hasn't been broken on the new rail line" you mean the Gautrain project, then just try saying that to the thousands of people who have been displaced or even just inconvenienced by the major construction that has been going on for quite a while now, and the road diversions that have been necessary. (See www.gautrain.co.za for details.)

But in any event, it is a common misunderstanding that this project to link Pretoria, Jo'burg and OR Tambo airport, with a total of ten stations, is contractually linked to the 2010 World Cup. It's not. Except that the current schedule has some of the major stations to be completed by then.

Far broader is the overall countrywide transportation facilities upgrade, which is an integral part of 2010 planning.