Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > won a free trip, Ivory lodge, CT and...where too then?

won a free trip, Ivory lodge, CT and...where too then?

Dec 2nd, 2004, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

won a free trip, Ivory lodge, CT and...where too then?

My wife and I won an all expenses paid trip to SA. We are too excited. 2 nights at the Ivory Lodge (Lionsands) and 5 nights at Table Bay Hotel. Obviously we want to extend the trip (too short for a long flight from NYC).
Although I don't think we can extend time at Ivory (at $2,000/night) we do want to extend to the Franschooek/Stellenbosch areas for some wine-time. We love good food and wine and eating out in general. As well we love the sun/beach. I am exhausted reading all the info on this forum (Selwyn - whoa...)!

Booked for mid-Feb'05. As we are not keen on moving around too much can someone reccommend a central HQ for us to operate out of there. Moderate to upscale, pool, dining in walking distance, wine-bars/bars, etc? I am sorry if this is redundant, but I can not seem to gather it all based on my day of reading (but work sure flew by)
Thoughts...?
Dec 2nd, 2004, 03:14 PM

Have not been there myself but, from a perusal of the Fodors Africa forum and a look at the website of the property itself, Klein Oliphants Hoek in Franschhoek looks as if it may fit your wish list very nicely.

If you are willing to move to yet another location after that, you might consider a stay in Hermanus as well. I mention that because you said you liked the beach.
Dec 3rd, 2004, 02:40 PM

beachbums,

First off, a big congratulations on winning that awesome package.

Next, don't be so sure that you cannot afford Ivory Lodge as it is regularly featured on a last second discount website for about 1/3 the rack rate. Apparently, they don't generate enough business at the full rack rate and need to compensate by selling rooms at deep discounts at the last second (within a couple weeks from visiting).

I would strongly suggest that you leave a couple nights open while at the Sabi Sand and you will be guaranteed to get a nice place for great rates as long as you don't go during the busiest time of the year (November - February, I would guess).

Search this Thread