Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > With all the talk of Botswana lately, here is an excellent link...

With all the talk of Botswana lately, here is an excellent link...

Feb 10th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

With all the talk of Botswana lately, here is an excellent link...

http://www.kwando.com/calendar.asp

Just came across this and think it is very helpful. I am kicking myself right now for misplacing a Kwando brochure that I had last year that I didn't pay too much attention to at the time. Big beautiful brochure...not as glossy as a Wilderness Safari brochure but still very nice.

Anyway, take a look at the link and take some time to read about Kwando and its camps.
Feb 10th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

(Careful, he's talking to himself. ---Leave him alone, he hasn't slept in 40 hours...I think he's been bit by the Africa bug)

Here is another excellent link for an 8 night package in Botswana including air for two from Atlanta or New York. If someone can pick this up for close to its opening price of about $5,600 USD, then they will have a pretty good deal.

This is the first time that I have seen it as an auction on Luxury Link. The link is www.luxurylink.com and the package is as follows:

Experience the real Africa in classic luxury! Your 8-night "Discover the Delta" adventure for two from Ker & Downey includes:

8 nights all-inclusive "Discover the Delta" Safari:
Roundtrip South African Airways flights from New York or Atlanta to Johannesburg and Air Botswana flights between Johannesburg and Maun **
Deluxe hotel and safari accommodations throughout
All beverages at Kanana, Shinde and Selinda, including alcoholic beverages, in reasonable quantities, except French wines
All safari activities: Game drives in 4 X 4 open Land-cruisers, game viewing on foot, by boat and by mokoro. Fishing is available as well.
Daily laundry service while in camp
All fees, taxes and service charges on land arrangements

This safari is valid for daily departures between March 1, 2004 and May 31, 2004, 2004, subject to availability at time of booking

The retail value of this package is: 8700.00* The minimum bid is: 5655.00
This auction closes: February 13, 2004 01:30 PM PST # packages available is: 2
Feb 11th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Lindley

Roccco I have to differ with you that $5600 (from the $8700) is a good deal, and I say this based on putting together a number of top of the line trips to Botswana, working through WS. This year, in a better time period than the one you cite, we have a 14-nighter at the vesy BEST in the Delta, including all airfare on SAA and Air Botswana via Maun, door to door USA, and two nights in JNB, and all meals, wines/drinks, two game drives daily and all private air charter for $8000/pp. Only tips are excluded. Just our experience, but thought we'd share it.

Feb 11th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Lindley,

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The $5,600 is actually meant to read $2,800 per person.

Again, that includes air from Atlanta or JFK to Johannesburg and then air from Johannesburg to Maun and all transfers between camps.

The air alone is worth $1,500 pp, so I look at this as an 8 night ground package for about $1,300 pp, or about $162 pp per night sharing.

Does that sound like a pretty good deal?

Search this Thread