Wireless internet in S. Africa

May 26th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Wireless internet in S. Africa

We'll be taking a laptop with wireless internet capability on our travels around SA in a few months. How available are "hot spots" in cities? Who are the main providers, cost, etc.? Any info much appreciated.
May 27th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Gardyloo,

Unfortunately I dont think that you are going to find too many hotspots for wireless connections. Wireless technology is still relatively new to SA and few climbed on to the wireless bandwagon in the beginning stages whereas more and more are entering into the realm of wireless these days.

To solve your problem you might well find that your place of stay has an ADSL connection which will more than likely be cabled so if you have a PCMCIA card that can take on a cable connection that could be handy for you to bring along. As you have a wireless card in your laptop who knows you might also find a wireless hotspot every now and then BUT dont bank on it. If you bring your pcmcia ADSL connector card card you could also ask at internet cafes if they will link you onto their ADSl connection for a fee. You will find that these costs are ow relative to your foreign currency. About $2.50 per hour.

In my opinion your best bet overall is to visit internet cafes (there are many everywhere that you go) and use their pcs to do your internet work at high speeds.

Hope this helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
May 27th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Selwyn, that's pretty much what I anticipated. The laptop will perform a number of purposes - entertainment on plane rides, trip diary, maybe a blog, download storage for digital pix, things like that, not to mention what I hope will be infreqent communiques with employers and clients. So if all else fails I can burn a CD and then upload things from an internet cafe quickly, if they won't let me patch into their router.
May 27th, 2005, 09:07 PM

Gardyloo,

Why dont you purchase a little jetflash
flash drive, go into an internet cafe, do your downloading to the jetflash which can be plugged into the USB port of the PC and voila all will happen so much quicker instead of carrying cumbersome CD's around etc etc. Thats what I do when I cannot find a wireless link. It works like a dream and is very portable too.

Just my twopence worth.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
May 28th, 2005, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Good idea, Selwyn. Thanks.
May 31st, 2005, 01:23 AM

There was an article on the weekly Business Travel page of this morning's Business Day. Mainly about on the provision of hotspots at some of South Africa's airports, but also with some info on where else you can find them:

http://www.businessday.co.za/article...x?ID=BD4A50891

Search this Thread