Has anyone been in Zimbabwe lately?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WIth everything that is going on there at the moment, I wonder if travelers are still going there, if tour companies are still talking groups to the camps there, etc....? Just wondering about this. Thanks!

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Make that TAKING groups there....
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

I guess this doesn't bode well....
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Hi Cooncat...I've been wondering the same thing as I've been planning a trip to Zimbabwe and Botswana for 2006. The company I'm working with assures me that the parks in Northern Zim are safe and are regularly visited. Unfortunately, many lodges have closed, so the choices are limited.
I was in Zimbabwe in 2001 and loved it and am looking forward to returning. Are you considering a trip there?
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:34 AM

I am scheduled for a week of mobile camping in late Sept this year, with a tour company, as well as three days in Vic Falls. From my research, the problems are well away from the game/tour spots, and are the worst in the cities. I would still plan to go, the people really need the tourist money even more with all the government caused problems!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:39 AM

I am going to Zimbabwe in September. I will be staying at Makalolo Plains and Matetsi.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Yes, phernska, I am considering it for next year.

Susic: I just hope the money really goes where it's needed....

Thanks for the replies
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:25 PM

went there in jan. (makololo). u can search my messages for a report. had a great time
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Big COuntry - I have been looking at your posts and I am not getting much accomplished here at work!

Zim/Zam looks very intriguing to me. Especially since the high cost of chimp/gorilla tracking has set in....are you hearing me, Rocco?! ;-)
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 01:25 PM

While the cost of gorilla trekking permits is relatively high, the permits to visit Kibale, Uganda, which has lots of chimps, is much lower. We visited Bwindi to see gorillas in 2003 and didn't get to Kibale, but we did speak to many who visited and they saw lots of chimps.

We did try to find chimps in the gorge in Queen Elizabeth NP in Uganda, and while we heard them, we didn't see them.

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi Thit - I was also thinking about the cost of flights, getting there and so forth, not just the cost of permits. WHen you say you heard chimps...then I start thinking about the forest and the chimps sounds...it is why I am having SUCH a hard time deciding where to go for my first Africa adventure! ;-)
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 06:32 AM

Its not expensive to fly from Nairobi to Entebbe, and you can overland to Kibale. Once your in East Africa, the regional flights are not expensive.

They are certainly cheaper than the Sefofane flights in Zim to get to Mana Pools or Hwange.

Michael
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 11:14 AM

I've been following the news from Zimbabwe for many years. Personally, I would not consider going there again until there's a change of government. While it may be true that the personal safety of tourists isn't threatened, who's to know when Mugabe might decide to perpetrate some horror on some tourist, for reasons of his own? He hasn't hesitated to abuse other groups, even when such actions are to the detriment of the country.

I don't think tourist money helps do anything but support the regime -- every business in the country is in business only at the dictator's pleasure, and he certainly profits personally from any influx of money. When I see what he has done to that beautiful land, I want to cry.

(This is just my personal opinion, and I apologize for injecting politics into this travel board, but since the question was raised .. )
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 11:43 AM

I'm with Celia. You guys who went and had a great time did so at the expense of the Zim people. Every US dollar that you paid for visas and to buy zimdollars at their bogus exchange rate goes straight to ZANU-PF so they can do whatever they have to do to stay in power. You should be ashamed to go there right now, especially with the wonderful options in the region. And by the way, some tourists have been arrested (for supposedly spying) and hassled -- it just hasn't been widely reported.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 11:47 AM
bwanamitch

Even if Mugabe's supporters get the most profit from tourist money, it helps a lot of other people in the business retaining their jobs.

And even if Mugabe is ruining his country, you can't put him into the same class such as Idi Amin or Jean-Bédel Bokassa. I don't think that he would threaten foreign tourists (except for the high visa fees for some special nationalities).

Mitch

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

NOw I say this only as a somewhat uninformed person (I only know what I get from the news): But these last two posts were exactly what was on my mind. In other words, I am skeptical that any money goes anywhere except to the regime. I wonder how much the camp employees get of their wages?
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:26 PM
bwanamitch

cooncat,
The most important thing is that you HAVE a job to feed your family.

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Bwana: What do you mean?
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:35 PM

You'd also be helping to feed a family that needs help by going to Zambia or Botswana instead -- and you wouldn't be prolonging Mugabe's evil system.
The bottom line: why go to Zim now. Go somewhere equally wonderful -- or wait till the dictator is gone
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 12:50 PM
bwanamitch

Tell this the people in Zim...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/2131400.stm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -