winter wildlife cape town area and garden route

Apr 12th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

winter wildlife cape town area and garden route

my husband is a biologist (studies lizards) and will be attending a conference in stellenbosch for a week during the latter part of june. after that we have 10 days to explore other areas. thanks to other posts, i have a list of recommended sights, towns, accomodations, etc. my question is: we enjoy seeing wildlife and since it will be winter, i was wondering what we can expect? will we still see baboons, penguins? would you still recommend addo park for that time of year? any other places that would be good for flora and fauna near cape town or along garden route late june/early july (can be just a good hiking area)?? depending on what we learn, we've considered cutting our time short along coast and flying to johannesburg and visiting kruger park. our departing flight goes through johannesburg so we wouldn't have to return to cape town... thank you for your help!
Apr 13th, 2005, 10:10 AM

Hello AuntT,

In response to your questions let me first mention that in June/July you are probably going to face rainy weather in Cape Town HOWEVER you certainly will still see penguins and more than likely will see baboons too. To make a special journey out of seeing baboons let me refer you to the site: http://animaltalk.org.uk/baboons.html

Doing a baboon matters journey with Jenny Trethowan is an amazing expereince which I would recommend highly.

In terms of visiting Addo I must mention that the game park is a solid 9 hour drive from Cape Town via the Garden Route thus you should definitely stay over at various places along the way. Driving the Addo Park should be fine as they now have tar roads at Addo in most areas. In the past when the roads were dust roads the possibilty of getting stuck in mud generally was high. You should see many elephants and quite a lot of game on Addo. While in the area you can supplement your animal viewing by going to Schotia Game Farm and doing their daily game drive. Lions in the wild are the feature of this afternoon and night drive.

All in all it seems as if everything that you want to do is possible even though it will be Winter in Cape Town and the Garden Route.

If you need any further help just ask on the Fodors board and rest assured either I or another Fodrite should be able to help you.

Hope this all helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Apr 18th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Hi there

Cape Town is indeed very misserable in winter with rainy weather, well they hope it rains this winter, but what few people know is that the garden route actually has very similar weather to JOhannesburg in winter and it is dry, so you have cold evening and cold morning and warm days. All the hotels are equipped for the cold and a lot of them have roaring log fires on the go which makes for a wonderful atmosphere. Winter is a fantstic time to see game anywhere is South Africa and the grass is not as thick and makes for wasier game viewing. If you decide that you want to come to JOhannesburg, then onto Kruger there are daily flights from Cape Town up to Kruger now with no stop over in JOhannesburg.

Search this Thread