Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Winter clothing? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/winter-clothing-556664/)

metoo22 Sep 6th, 2005 12:09 PM

Winter clothing?

Would a fleece (micro-fleece) jacket be enough warmth for the first week of November?
We don't want to overpack. Maybe paired with a windbreaker?

bwanamitch Sep 6th, 2005 12:18 PM

Depends on where you plan to go.

Sherif Sep 7th, 2005 01:01 AM

I believe a fleece jacket and a windbreaker will be enough... you will probably need to wear one of the two during the day (depending on temperature) and both in the evening if it gets cold in open areas. However if you are going to upper Egypt (Luxor etc..) it gets colder in the late night when outdoors (Nile, desert etc..)

sandi Sep 7th, 2005 04:39 AM

Since you don't mention which country, from my own experience for travel during October, November & December, a light jacket, sweater or shawl (latter for women) work in Egypt, East Africa (Kenya/Tanzania) and Southern Africa (SA, Botswana & Zim/Zam).

The desert areas of Egypt are truly "desert" - though often hot during the days the evening temps can actually drop 20-30/degrees - so a jacket is good to have. Likewise, in the other countries, the temps do drop, but rarely as much between daytime temps so not very cold.

The closer you get to mid-/end-November and into December in Southern Africa it's actually quite warm in the evenings, but it's good to have some coverup.

In East Africa the evening/morning temps average at the lowest 50-degrees, but usually somewhere between 55-60/degrees.

However, if traveling to East Africa or Southern Africa - November usually brings showers, so a waterproof windbreaker might serve you better if caught outdoors at these times.

You're not overpacking, just being prepared.

Conlet Sep 7th, 2005 07:04 AM

We will be in Egypt in early November also. I thought I had read avg temps in Cairo would be high 70s to low 80s during the day, dropping to 60s at night, and that Luxor and Aswan would be warmer. We are also doing a 3 day desert oasis trip - not sure if we need any different types or weights of clothing for that.

sandi Sep 7th, 2005 12:02 PM

conlet -

The desert can get downright cold at night, even if daytime temps are 100-degrees. Are you sleeping in a hotel or camping out?

If indoors somewhere, you shouldn't have any concern. If sleeping out, where? do you need sleeping bags? what about facilities (the loo)? etc.

Should the latter be the case, you should receive information from whomever is arranging your itinerary?

metoo22 Sep 7th, 2005 12:34 PM

Thanks for the info & your patience. I'm new to this board & thought I had posted under Egypt, but found I had posted under Africa. Thanks for taking the time to give specific info.

sandi Sep 7th, 2005 12:39 PM

metoo22 -

Egypt is in Africa!

There is no separate Egypt board. The entire Continent and the Middle East - all together.

Conlet Sep 8th, 2005 03:08 PM

Thanks Sandi - we are doing both - one night in hotel, the other, camping out. We have been told we do not need sleeping bags; everything will be provided. Just wondering how cold it gets - when my FL friends talk about a "heavy jacket" it's not the same reference as here in New England!

sunshine007 Sep 8th, 2005 05:10 PM

Fleece, a windbreaker, socks & gloves should be OK most nights in the desert if you are from New England. I was there in late January & wore long johns to sleep in in the hotels. (Albeit the hotels I stayed in were nice & warm.) I'm going back to camp out in the desert near Siwa & my guide from Cairo sez that a medium, wide sleeping bag & heavy camel blanket keeps him warm. I'm sure you'll be provided with warm sleeping equipment.