Adventure Travel Expo

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adventure Travel Expo

http://www.adventureexpo.com/client/index.aspx?page=35

I attended the Adventure Travel expo yesterday at the Javitz Center in NY, mostly because I wanted to pick up info on Honduras, where I'm planning a visit for end February. But there were some interesting Africa booths (Volcanoes Safaris, Foxes, Rwanda and Zambia tourist bureaus, and a few more). There is another expo in the LA area the last weekend of January, and one in the DC area in February. If interested, you can see a list of participants on the website. Its a fun few hours and worth the $15 admission.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 07:41 AM

On Friday we attended the Adventure Travel Show here in London... picked up lots of leaflets, caught up with some travel industry friends, entered competitions for holidays and Rohan gear, renewed my Travel Africa subscription, sat in on some talks by picture editors and photographers which gave me some tips on what to send in and how and generally picked up some travel ideas... oh and enjoyed seeing lots of the entries plus finalists for the travel photographer of the year competition. Tickets £10 each (I got in advance for £7 each) but today was last day of show.

Will also go to Destinations Show in a couple of weeks... not as good in terms of companies as more aimed at older, more sedate travellers but still some interesting stuff and also the finalists from the Wanderlust photo competition. Also free tickets...
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 08:45 AM

"older, more sedate travellers..."

Hey, I resemble that remark!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Well, I'm pretty sedate myself but I guess what I mean is those people who like to do the well-known circuits, staying in the well-known places and seeing the well-known stuff. I'm not one of those who harps on about getting "off the beaten track" because the reason stuff is on the beaten track is often coz it's more interesting than the stuff that isn't but I do prefer not to travel in groups and to plan my own itinerary and choose my own accommodation.

Destinations always seems to be the companies I've already heard of whereas I come across more smaller scale agencies and operators at the Adventure Travel show. I used to ignore this show because I assumed it was only for those who want to rock climb, ski and overland but it's much more varied than that!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:42 PM

Hi Kavey,

When are you planning on going to Destinations? I'm planning to go to it too (though have not received my free tickets yet...). Maybe we can meet up.

I also skipped the Adventure Travel Show because I also thought it was for people who are into rock climbing and hard-core expeditions...oh well, now I know better!

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 03:41 AM

Julian

I have a spare free ticket I'd be happy to send to you if you email me your postal address...

I'm going to go on Thursday afternoon. It doesn't usually take me that long to see everything I want to see at this show (Adventure Travel one takes longer as there are more stalls I am interested in PLUS all the varied talks too) so I'll probably aim to be there at around 3 pm. It's open till 8.30 that night so that still leaves me plenty of time.

Does that work for you?
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Julian, with respect to the US shows, at least, there is plenty of info on adventure travel -- its not just sedate sightseeing. I picked up info on climbing Devil's Tower in Wyoming, which I'd like to do this Spring/Summer, and I also picked up some info on kayaking to see whales. Hopefully your show will have some of the same. I always try to build in a bit of adventure on my Africa trips, such as cage diving with sharks near Cape Town, climing the Sossosvlei dunes, white water rafting at Victoria Falls, etc.

I understand from your recent posts that you have an upcoming trip to Egypt. One of my favorite experiences was our late day visit to the pyramids. The entrace to the Giza plateaus (pyramids and sphinx) closes around 4:00 or 5:00, but the entire area is not enclosed by a fence. We were able to rent camels in Giza, and ride them out into the desert and back to the pyramids, and we had the entire area to ourselves. I did that on two trips, and we spent a couple of hours riding. We also took two guides on horseback to lead us.

There are always ways to make trips a bit more interesting and not so passive, and you can usually get great ideas at the adventure expos.

Michael