Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Wilderness safaris & the stock exchange (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/wilderness-safaris-and-the-stock-exchange-814372/)

skimmer Nov 14th, 2009 01:26 PM

Wilderness safaris & the stock exchange

Is WS setting a new trend here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfnlI...196382&index=1

atravelynn Nov 14th, 2009 03:39 PM

They are going public, stating these reasons: Local people can benefit by the company's gains, assuming they have the means for the investment; they can serve as a model for other profitable eco-ventures; and shareholders may push more for dividends as opposed to high rates of reinvestment.

The title of the video, "Financial" is spelled wrong.

twaffle Nov 14th, 2009 05:16 PM

A local, very successful conservation company went public with very sad results. The big investors wanted returns and weren't so interested in altruistic pursuits with the consequence being that the company ended up in bankruptcy. Many of the very significant gains to both wilderness and wildlife were lost as the different conservation areas were sold off, some as housing, some as tourist parks with little concern for the breeding of endangered species.

Not so sure that this move would help the local people and as Atravelynn says, would the average person be in a position to invest?

safarimama Nov 14th, 2009 05:45 PM

What company was that, twaffle? Please, prove your point by naming names or your point is useless, IMHO!

HariS Nov 14th, 2009 06:38 PM

What's with the Youtube strategy?

Safari_Craig Nov 14th, 2009 06:45 PM

Hey Guys,

I am not sure if anyone from Wilderness posted this video so it may not be their strategy. They have been planning this for at least two years as I first yeard about it in early 2007.

I am highly confident the commitment is there to use the raised capital for the right purposes.

Craig Beal

atravelynn Nov 14th, 2009 06:59 PM

In the clip they said going public was supposed to happen last year but was delayed, which would make sense. They also mentioned that they have done well during this downturn.

I hope they do well, employ local people, and preserve places that might otherwise be exploited.

If all my money weren't spent on Africa travel, maybe I'd have some to invest with them! Even if I could buy only a few shares, that would gain me entrace to the shareholders meetings and I could voice my complaints about all the wooden walkways.

twaffle Nov 14th, 2009 08:10 PM

Safarimama, the company wasn't an African one, it was called Earth Sanctuaries. They were doing some exceptional work but no longer. The aims were good, but perhaps they were before their time trying to put a monetary value on wildlife and wilderness areas.

spassvogel Nov 15th, 2009 07:32 AM

GP can be a good idea (start up's e.g.) but often it's with a bad outcome.

Investors expect ROI.

IF WS is going public it will change the company. Not necessarily for the better.

SV ((@))

jca Nov 17th, 2009 06:25 AM

The youtube clips are from a show which ran on the business channel CNBC Africa... Their digital arm, www.ABNdigital.com loaded these clips onto youtube as they're also embedded into their site I guess.

Going public is a test for any company, I think for companies (like WS) with such an innovative yet proven to be successful/viable business model it allows access to greater capital and thus an ability to have more influence.

I've watched the clips and I thought the interview with the National Geographic Magazine journalist hit the nail on the head when it came to 'Sustainable Business' and how WS has been applying 'Sustainable Tourism' for many years.

surkamp Nov 17th, 2009 06:32 AM

Dear me, you must be gullible!

jca Nov 17th, 2009 11:11 AM

Oh well, everyone is entitled to their opinions, cynical Surkamp included. Maybe best people watch the CNBC videos, follow the listing and WS's management over the next few years and make up their own minds. Call me gullible or call me a GenY excited about the prospect that companies who actually care about making the world a better place (and are actively doing it) are listing on stock exchanges.

spassvogel Nov 17th, 2009 01:18 PM

"Sustainable business" is more describing what WS is nowadays.
It's a huge safari operation which does some good things in view to children education etc.
But it's certainly not a saint operation.

SV ((@))

jca Nov 17th, 2009 09:31 PM

Tough to even find NGO's or 'Not for profits' that are saints, companies have to find the right mix to be a sustainable business. I think WS definitely setting a new challenge to 'for profit' co's/listed entities though if you consider their business model and rehabilitation initiatives like the Island profiled in the clips. When I was traveling 10yrs ago I didn't care about supporting a responsible travel company, today my view has changed a lot, I even re-think where I buy my bread and milk - I think there are more travelers like me out there