Wilderness Safari Food

Apr 25th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Wilderness Safari Food

We hear the food is great at the Wilderness Camps. We are staying at Savuti, Duma Tau, Vumbra and Chitabe.

Can anyone tell us what the details about the food served? Is it safe to eat the fresh uncooked veggies and fruit?

thanks!
Apr 26th, 2004, 12:15 AM

We stayed in 3 WS camps in Botswana and one in Namibia back in 2001.

Food was very good but not gourmet. More aimed at being tasty, filling, energy-giving food.

For dinners we usually had a starter served to us at the table - maybe cheese in filo pastry or something elegant like that. For the main meal it was usually a buffet including things like casseroles, lasagne etc with lots and lots of salads (carrot and pineapple, potato salad, green salad etc), lots of vegetables and so on. I recall one night a BBQ chef cooking steaks to our order alongside the buffet. Dessert was also served at the table.

For lunch it was similar kind of buffet food.

Breakfast was a mix of hot food (sausages, egg etc) and cold fruit, cereal type buffet.

We ate everything without any ill effects and if anyone's going to get ill from eating something dodgy it would normally be me.

WS have pretty high standards.
Apr 26th, 2004, 09:40 AM

Don't fear eating anything offered at WS. Sanitary standards are very high. I am a vegetarian and ate mostly the salads, veggies and fruit. You will be healthier on safari with them than you are at home...unless you overindulge, which is the only food related danger I can think of... Too many meals and snacks, with pre-drive teas, sundowners and snacks, etc...
Apr 26th, 2004, 09:44 AM

By the way, it is always interesting to see the kitchen at these camps. I did't do this with WS (so not sure they will do a kitchen tour) but I did at several places in Zambia. It was fascinating and fun. Amazing how they produce everything from scratch-- including all baked goods-- with practically no kitchen equipment...
Apr 26th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Oh lordy, I forgot the bread... the freshly baked bread for dinner - served warm as it came out of the oven... it was wonderful!!!

Search this Thread