Wildebeest Travels or Milimani Backpackers

Jul 10th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Wildebeest Travels or Milimani Backpackers

Anyone familiar with either? Only going to use as base for one day in Nairobi as flight home not till 10pm. Thank you.

Karen
Aug 3rd, 2011, 02:26 AM

I would like to warn people about Milimani Backpackers. As a hostel it is fine enough but I had a really negative experience with them. They have an area in the back corner next to the wall where people can camp. One evening I was lying down in my tent when a big thunderstorm came. The thunder was really close so I got out and went inside the hostel. Less than five minutes later I came back to check if water was getting in and I found my tent was covered in bricks. The wall had fallen on it. If I had been inside I would have died or been very seriously hurt.

My tent was destroyed and when I checked my new video camera I found the screen had been cracked. I found out later this was the 3rd time the wall had fallen and once before it had hit a tent but they still let people camp there.

I assumed Patricia, the owner, would replace or fix my tent and camera without any problem, just happy I was alive. But to my surprise she refused to pay a cent. After a heated argument they finally agreed to look for estimates. That was the beginning of a long fight to get some compensation. The played all kinds of games with me. They lied, they didn’t return my calls/messages/emails and they stalled me hoping I would give up. For awhile I stayed at the backpacker waiting for them and they refused to let me stay for free. In the end I finally got some cash four months later but only because I was so persistent. As for my tent they reluctantly gave me the cheapest old tent they had. It was useless against rain.

For this I would have to say do not stay at Milimani Backpackers.
I would recommend to stay at…

New Kenya Lodge (River Rd and Latema Rd)
-right in the center (close to cheap internet, Milimani charges 4X the price)
-lots of travellers
-cheaper
-actual hot showers (Milimani’s are hardly warm)
-offer cheaper safaris than Milimani and just as good

If you aren’t comfortable staying in the center then I would recommend
Upper Hill Backpackers (a bit far from town but very nice) or the Hostelling International Backpacker (near to Milimani)
Aug 3rd, 2011, 01:41 PM

Apparently you don't want to spend much, but maybe consider the Red Court Hotel or Country Lodge*, either is probably less than $100 for a dayroom. At least you'll be safe as will be your belongings.

*is the lower cost hotel affiliated with the Fairview Hotel on the same grounds and where you can use the same services, as gardens, restuarants, etc.
Feb 10th, 2012, 12:06 PM

Milimani backpackers is a terrible place. everything is very overpriced, especially the safaris. the main objective of this place is to get your money. also, the rooms were not very clean, my friend had bites every morning which we suspect were from bedbugs.

Search this Thread