Safari to S Africa, Namibia & Botswana

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 04:09 PM
stephanie_f

Safari to S Africa, Namibia & Botswana

I am traveling to S Africa the last 2 weeks of Oct 2006. I am looking to maximize my wildlife sightings both in varity and quantity, and to spend time at camps similar to Singita. Are Singita and Phinda too similar, or would it be worth while to visit both? Does anyone have any suggestions about the best camps to fulfil the above in Botswana and Namibia? Any advise would be welcome.
Thanks, Stephanie

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 06:04 PM
santharamhari

Stephanie,

Camps on the scale on Singita in Botswana would be, Mombo, Jao, Kings Pool, Vumbura Plains. However if game viewing was my priority, i would pick from the following: Mombo, Lebala, Chitabe, Duma Tau, Selinda.

Regarding Phinda/Singita they are both very different. Phinda is all about conservation and education and trying to re-establish lost wilderness areas.

Singita is your typical Sabi Sands experience, which is ultra luxurious atmosphere with a predictable game viewing experience...within a degree...

I don't recommend splitting two weeks between SA/Botswana and Namibia. You can do SA and Botswana maybe?

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stephanie,

Check out Islands In Africa's properties in the Caprivi Strip area of Namibia:

www.islandsinafrica.com

For Botswana, check out Wilderness Safaris, Sanctuary Lodges and even Kwando (not yet listed on their site, but they are opening up a more luxurious camp named Kwara Island).

www.wilderness-safaris.com
www.sanctuarylodges.com
www.kwando.co.za

There are really not too many luxury options in the other parts of Namibia...perhaps Little Ongava run by Wilderness.

I do think it would be worth considering adding an area that would combine well with Botswana, such as the Lower Zambezi in Zambia. Chiawa Camp enjoys an amazing location and would help break up the monotony of game drive after game drive with activities such as canoeing, river safaris and fishing for the famous tigerfish (teeth like razor and related to the Piranha, only much bigger). While fishing may not sound like fun to everyone, it is a blast, as there is all kinds of gameviewing going on meanwhile and you are out there in the middle of the Zambezi, enjoying a beer, wine, cocktail or cold soda.

www.chiawa.com

Singita is a great lodge. I have not yet been to Phinda.

Good luck.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:22 PM

Rocco,do you have your Nov/Dec 2006 trip itinerary posted yet or preliminary plans?
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:29 PM

Carla,

My tentative plans are as follows, arriving in South Africa (and transfering to Namibia) on Nov. 18th:

Ntwala Island Lodge (2)
Susuwe Island Lodge (2)
Kwando Lagoon (2) (there is a border station nearby that will make for a simple boat transfer between Susuwe and Lagoon)
Kwando Lebala (2)
Kwando Kwara Island (1) (only one night was available for my dates)
Kwando Kwara (3)
Michelangelo Towers, Joburg (2)(I will eat at Bukhara's, the best Indian food I have yet experienced, at least twice!)
Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge, Sabi Sand (2)
Leopard Hills, Sabi Sand (2)
Madikwe Hills, Madikwe (2)
Mateya, Madikwe (2) (I must see my wild dogs and these last two lodges are two of the most luxurious lodges in all South Africa, so it is a nice way to end)

Carla, are you going to be in any of those areas around those dates?
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:51 PM

Sweet! Would love to go back this year, but its not looking good right now. Been home for 3 months and ready to go again. Setting my sights on 2007 but really torn where to go. My wish list includes the Delta, Zambia, Namibia, Kenya and Tanzania. This last trip involved too much flying,so next time I would prefer to concentrate on a specific region.