Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2014, 07:53 AM
aby
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wild Dogs (Lycaon pictus) seen in Samburu Kenya

Samburu GR :
yesterday a friend observed a pack of 8 dogs ~2km from Larsen's camp

(at SweetWaters there should be 2 packs of 9 and 15)
Old Jul 20th, 2014, 01:18 PM

Seems there are more packs of painted dogs being seen every year in East Africa after being gone for sometime.

Samburu, Laikipia and Sweetwater's (the lstter I wasn't aware) seem to have won lottery when it comes to this species. However, after many years prior the first small pack of three (3) dogs only were sighted about 5/yrs ago in the very northern Masai Mara and apparently with one being a female they've increased in numbers and now found in quite a number of areas. The guide who came upon these was certainly surprised.

Still haven't seen these, so still waiting to come upon a few along with a Pangolin. Then I'll be a happy camper.
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 04:20 AM
aby
Original Poster

Hi Sandi
yeah, it seems they are seen more often than before.

there was a report on wild dogs in <b>Mara</b> on October 2012
(maybe the same 3 individuals !)
http://karellgroup.com/2012/10/05/fi...ns-camp-kenya/

even more recent report from last year:
http://paul-kirui.blogspot.co.il/201...r-in-mara.html

long time ago, I personally saw in the Mara twice; once with a den with numerous cubs... plus another, third sighting at the Loita plains on the road to Mara

a friend has seen in <b>Samburu</b> in 2011

They have been denning at <b>Sweetwater</b>'s. in case they'll do it again, would you like to get the info? (than pack immediately and fly over? I know someone who does just that.

and of course Sandi you have a chance of seeing them in <b>Serengeti</b>
see my thread: http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...ted-wolves.cfm
and also at <b>Tarangire</b>, I know some people who have seen there

<gray> <b>I wish there was an online info-center, 'cause it is very easy to identify individuals from pictures. thus tourism could have helped nature conservation
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 04:41 AM

I think they are seen relatively often in Samburu now. I was at Saruni Samburu in the Kalama conservancy in late Jan and the dogs were seen a couple times at the lodge, unfortunately for me I was out in the reserve on a drive both times and missed them
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 09:15 AM

Wouldn't I just love to pack my bathroom stuff, pack my usual safari attire and jump on a plane and be off? Sure can dream, but it'll just have to wait a few months.

Have heard comments from many of these amazing animals being sighted at Loisaba in Laikipia and Samburu as far back as 3/yrs ago.
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 10:02 AM

I was at Porini Rhino Camp in late June of this year, and saw a pack of 18 wild dogs at their end of Ol Pejeeta.. In the Mara, the Porini Lion Camp guides told me that they hadn't been seen there for two years..
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 03:08 AM

We've just returned from Porini Rhino Camp on Ol Pejeta Conservancy and had the good fortune to spend 2 1/2 days with the pack of Wild Dogs, now numbering 12 adults and 7 puppies. They social interaction was amazing and they were all around the vehicle.

Some highlights:
One of the puppies pushed his sister through the electric fence making it unable to return to the pack. He got severely disciplined by the group and the adults were seen dragging the pups away from the fence and disciplining them if they did not stay away. Just after nightfall the adults gathered near the fence and the lost puppy. One of them ( it appeared to be the mother) brought up food to entice her close to the fence, grabbed her by the nose and pulled her through.

The Dogs were seen to run off for a hunt leaving the puppies and one babysitter. After ten minutes they came running back and we were able to witness the whole feeding ceremony. It turned out they had killed a whole Zebra and her calf.

A Warthog, whose burrow had been taken over by the dogs approached the puppies and chased them out of the hole.
The pack mobbed him, after which he ran away. At early night he tried again resulting in an hour-long standoff, after which it slunk away. The next day the dogs were gone and off the Conservancy.(Oct 28th 2014)
They may have gone through the corridors in the direction of Lewa and/or Samburu.
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wonderful! When I was at Ol Pejeta we missed the dogs by a day or two. Another reason to return.
Old Nov 20th, 2014, 11:54 PM

Hi Aby, at Laikipia ....... I was lucky to see denning dogs at Laikipia Wilderness Camp ......
Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 08:52 AM

Last week at The Selous on the way to airstrip for flight out, guide did a dead stop and there right in front of me, blocking road were 10-12 wild dogs. Can now cross that species off my short list. Unfortunately, didn't have the time to watch to see what they'd do, go or if we'd have to follow them for awhile. But sure was a surprise and a few photos will have to do for now.

All that's left on my list is the Pangolin, but don't have serious hope for that for sometime, unless this also becomes a surprise.