Wild Dogs in my mail -- a new tracking experience

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was very excited to grab my mail and see a wild dog staring back in the latest issue of Travel Africa.

There is an article about tracking radio-collared dogs with researchers at a nature reserve provided by DeBeers diamonds called Venetia Limpopo Nature Reserve which borders on Mapungubwe National Park one of S.A.'s newest. I'll provide more details once I've had time to read the article which may be a few days but I wanted to alert all the wild dog lovers to track down a copy of Travel Africa.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 04:12 PM
santharamhari

Thanks, Bill.....

Going to subscribe for this magazine.

Hari

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 04:45 PM

can't find that magazine here bill, when you're done with it can I have your "dog-eared" copy? thanks!
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Does anyone know anything more about the "Venetia Limpopo" reserve?

A few nights ago, I watched a special on the wild dogs in the area of the reserve and think it would be an interesting place place to visit.

I found some info (not a whole lot) on Venetia on the internet, like some of the species that inhabit the area, but not a lot of info on accommodation, transportation to and from, or anything else.

So, does anyone have the inside scoop?
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 01:53 PM

http://www.soutpansberg-tourism.co.z...uck_lodge.html
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Divewop: nice dig on an old thread. I saw the title Wild Dogs in my mailbox and thought this could be cool, I didn't suspect it was my own thread!

I still have the issue that I can pass onto you next time we meet up. In the meantime it lists Little Muck Lodge as the homebase or it is ossible to stay in neighboring Mapungubwe National park which more info can be found at www.sanparks.co.za

Dennis: let me know if you are still interested and I may be able to produce another copy of the article.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 02:24 PM

Thanks, nyama and PB.

PB, I figured I'd dig around first to see if there was an old thread before starting a new one. It figured that it would have been yours. You and your wild dogs!...

Since the reserve borders Botswana, near the Tuli Safari lodge area and Mashatu, it could make a really nice circuit combining both northern S.A. and Botswana.

That special I watched was really interesting. The alpha female was collared, so I'm suspecting the pack (around 23 at the time) is still being closely monitored. Especially since it is the home base of the wild dog project.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 10:32 PM

Venetia Limpopo nature reserve is actually an operational diamond mine owned by the DeBeers and is on the SA border with Botswana and very close to Mashatu.

This trip visits the reserve as well as Mashatu and Mapungubwe.
http://www.discoveryinitiatives.co.u...g_Study_Safari

While researching my trip in September to Mashatu, I looked into visiting the reserve. Unfortunately, it seems that Little Muck Lodge is available for bookings only to groups and not to individuals. I am not sure if there is another way to visit the reserve and I must admit that accommodation around the reserve in one of the numerous guest houses with visits to the reserve didnt cross my mind.

The light and air pollution caused by the diamond mine is visible for miles and it the only scar visiblle from the Mashatu landscape. The staff and guides there have their own opinions on this operation which one much dig into while visiting Mashatu