Wild Dog Spotting!

Mar 16th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Wild Dog Spotting!

Wouldn't you know that after all these years, I finally had my first wild dog spotting...right outside my house in the San Gabriel Mountains!

Okay, so they were not African Wild Painted Dogs, but these were definitely dogs, on the banks of the river that is not more than 200 feet in front of my house.

http://www.mtncove.com/images/DCP01033.JPG
(in the photo, my home is the second on the left, and the river is not usually this high, but it was after recent heavy rains but is now about half of what is pictured)

Fortunately, the dogs were on the other side of the river, but it was a pack of eight dogs. These were NOT coyotes, unless there are black coyotes. My usually very tough little Corgi, was scared out of his mind and nearly pulled me back home from the trail on which we were walking.

The dogs, once they saw us, were very alert to our presence and one stood atop a rock right on the river and barked away at us.

Damn, where was that Canon 20D with the 100-400mm lens when I needed it?!
Mar 16th, 2005, 08:45 AM

Don't know what they were... but... nice house!
Mar 16th, 2005, 09:06 AM

We're practically neighbors! We live in West Covina and take our dogs up to Azusa Canyon all the time
Mar 16th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Patty,

Want another dog???

I have six dogs at my personal home, three of whom are 11 months old. Unfortunately, my home has turned into a prison cellblock where I have to separate certain prisoners...err, dogs, from each other, or else they will shank each other!

Glad to see a neighbor Fodorite!
Mar 16th, 2005, 09:37 AM

I have my hands full with 2 full time dogs and whatever strays we find each year. We live near a city park which unfortunately seems to be a popular place for people to abandon unwanted litters

How is it that you have 6 dogs?
Mar 16th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Patty,

Altogether, I have 10 dogs, after successfully finding a loving home for an 11th dog last week (she was a stray 6 month old puppy I picked up on a busy street just after the New Year).

My wife and I started out innocently enough with a single dog about 6 years ago. From there, I took in a dog that followed my sister home, this about 5.5 years ago. Next, I took in a Shih Tzu puppy that one of my neighbors got tired of after just a month or so, and that was about 5 years ago.

I was stable at 3 dogs for probably a couple years, but about 3 years ago, I picked up a stray or lost 2 year old? Cocker Spaniel from a busy intersection near my work, to bring the total up to four dogs.

Then, about 18 months ago, I was very upset by the site of a beautiful 8 month old Corgi male who had to throw himself on his back at the pet store in order to drink from the water bottle. This dog was too big to still be in a pet store window, and despite his good lucks and great personality, he was marked down like an unwanted article of clothing, from $999, to $899, to $799, finally down to about $599, and they were holding him hostage until somebody coughed up the $599. That person was me, and he became the 5th in the collection.

This was still fine, because three of the dogs served as pet therapy dogs at my wife's Alzheimer care facility, with occasional trips home with her to visit (plus I am there a couple times a week, and I spend most of my time loving the three original dogs).

Not more than a month after buying the Corgi, there was a stray pair of dogs in the 5 acre facility where my office is located. One of the dogs was a male pit bull, and although I did befriend him, I knew that with my 9 month old Corgi male, that there was no way that I would be able to save this Pit Bull. The other dog, a female, was about a 1 year old Sharpei mix, very shy in demeanor and about 30 pounds (about 10 pounds underweight). I knew that both of these dogs were history if I did not save them, but I was only able to save the female...so, I was able to grab her, put her in my SUV against her will, and take her home.

It was very hard for this dog in the very beginning and she constantly tried to escape for the first few days. Being that I live in the mountains, with coyotes and mountain lions never far away, this would not have served her well. Thankfully, after about a week she settled in, and was christened with the very appropriate name of "Shy."

It was a couple weeks later that she began "to show", as in her belly began to swell due to her being pregnant with five dogs. In retrospect, I wished I had taken her immediately to the vet to be spayed.

Fortunately, the pups were born about 6 weeks before christmas, and were beautiful little puppies that ended up as Christmas gifts for a few people. Each and every puppy was given away right in my own gated community, and there were actually not enough puppies to go around.

But, I didn't learn my lesson, and I doubted the prowess of my 12 inch tall Corgi male...not more than five months later, she was pregnant again, this time with the Corgi's puppies. This was my most irresponsible action as a pet owner to date, and she ended up having 6 puppies. We were only able to find one qualified neighbor to take a puppy, two of the cutest puppies were stolen right from our own front yard, at about 3 months old (they were in an enclosure, but we suspect that someone whom we had denied the puppies came back and took the 2 he wanted anyhow), and we still have the other 3 puppies and they are now 11 months old...Batman (for his pointy little ears), Dudley, and Biggie (a female).

Besides them, there was one other dog added about 15 months ago, a Sharpei/Chow/Shepherd Mix, Gunther. Unfortunately, Gunther and my Corgi, Scooter, are sworn mortal enemies and must remain segregated from each other at ALL times. It wasn't always like this, but Gunther tired of being bossed around by a dog half his size and eventually started fighting back.

And THAT is how I arrived at 10 dogs. My life would be so much simpler if I could only find a loving home for Gunther, and perhaps one of the male puppies.

Meanwhile, Shy and Scooter are the prince and princess of the house and receive full house privileges, while the others are mostly outside dogs, with the three puppies taking their turns inside.

The Cocker Spaniel needed her own domain, so she is the sole dog at our 2nd Alzheimer care facility, but being only a block away from the original facility, she does escape for visits with the original three dogs at least once a week!

WHEW...and that is the autobiography of my dogs!!!
Mar 16th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Ooops...I mean that is the biography of my dogs.
Mar 16th, 2005, 12:08 PM

Oh my! My older one is a Shih Tzu, he just turned 7 on Feb 20th. And we have a Cairn terrier mix who we adopted from a rescue agency about 4 years ago (we think he's 5). We keep the strays we find (dogs and cats) for about 1-2 months while finding homes for them. Even during that short time, it's amazing how attached you become. Unfortunately my husband is extremely allergic to cats, otherwise we would have several of those too

Search this Thread