Wild card in South Africa

Mar 15th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Wild card in South Africa

I'm going to Kruger in July and see info on their web site about Wild cards. It may work out about the same amount of money for me to buy one compared to the daily tariff. Are there any benefits to buying one? Would it save money on other tours, car rentals , restaurants? Thanks . Barbara
Mar 15th, 2006, 11:08 PM

I'll c&p part of a reply by a poster on another site:

"The wild card only saves you the daily conservation fee, which varies from park to park. In Kruger it is (I believe) R120 per person per day. At Addo it is R20 pppd."
Mar 15th, 2006, 11:15 PM

But . . . I see that they are now talking about "CashBack Rewards", etc. I didn't know that. Although being the cynic that I am, I have my doubts as to how many "partners" that scheme has, and how tangible it is in practice.
Mar 16th, 2006, 06:38 AM

We bought one on each of our last two trips. If you're in Kruger for more than 4 or 5 days (or maybe 3 or 6, I forget exactly), it is cheaper than paying the daily fee. And if you're going to any other parks, it's good there too. Also, it's good for one whole year, so if there's a chance you'd be back before a year is out, you'd be able to use it then.

As a practical matter, I don't think foreigners can take advantage of the "rewards", because I think that depends on having a bank account in SA. (I'm not totally sure about this -- I read the brochure pretty quickly.)

The sanparks web site (www.sanparks.org) has the information for you to be able to figure out if it's cheaper to buy the card. Also you can e-mail sanparks and ask them.

Search this Thread