Wife's 40th in Africa

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Wife's 40th in Africa

Need to plan the wife's 40th in Africa.

Definately a lady that likes luxury, but this will be a break from the kids and I want to make it a thrill / adventure as well as a luxury experience.

Where do I start? Friends stayed at a lodge on the Zambezi and loved it.

Anyone with suggestions?

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 08:16 AM
santharamhari

Which part of Africa do you wish to travel to? East or Southern?

There are some very luxurious camps in Botswana/Zambia/SA/Namibia or even in Tanzania/Kenya....

Hari

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:46 PM
sandi

Africa can be an entire continent. But assume you're seeking safari countries. This can then be East (Tanzania/Kenya) or Southern (South Africa, Bostwana, Zambia, Namibia and Zimbabwe). Time of year may also determine where best to visit.

Luxury can mean different things to different people. There's lux expensive, but rustic accommodations. OR lux lux expensive and lux for lux sake over-the-top. Prices for lux can range from $500-$1500/person night, for accommodations alone, then there are ground or air transport, park fees, tips, etc. etc. ... all depending on where and when.

Can you provide more information on what you wish to accomplish besides a birthday gift for your wife. You'll get lots more input and suggestions.

Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

I think I will be try to get into Tongabezi if all works out. Friends were there last year and loved it.

Assuming that is 4-5 days well spent I wouldn't mind a 2nd activity. Not really city people although I loved Cape Town when I visited about 3 years ago.

What else in the area is a must see?

Bearing in mind we have a massive trek back home (Bahamas) I'd prefer something relatively close to Tongabezi so as not to make the whole trip one big airport experience.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 07:16 AM

JerMor,
Did I understand you want 4-5 nights at Tongabezi? Even though I like to linger in one place, I would think 3 nights at Tongabezi would be plenty.

You could add Zambia's Lower Zambezi onto your stay with another 3-4 nights at Chiawa or Sausage Tree. Both are permanent luxury tented camps that would offer safari drives, walks, canoeing, and boating. The transfer could be done midday without a lot of time in airports.

A little farther away is a place that many people rave about for good atmosphere as well as game, but I have not been. That is Luangwa River Lodge in South Luangwa, Zambia.

Otherwise, flying from Lusaka to Johannesburg is not hard and then you could go to one of the very lovely lodges in the Sabi Sands. Singita comes to mind first for luxury. Or Londolozi or the nicer accommodations at Mala Mala. Others who have been can elaborate. In fact flying in and out of Johannesburg may be your easiest route, making a Sabi Sands safari stop very logical.

Happy birthday to your wife.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 09:18 PM
santharamhari

JerMor,

Are you into game viewing at all? Tongabezi i'm sure is a fantastic camp...but, not much game viewing there... just the falls and all the adventure activities around (white water rafting etc etc.,) two nights there is all i would do....there is a smallish park with a couple of rhino, but not someplace i would go for my game viewing trip....

Kwando camps in Botswana is an easy transfer from Livingstone....Lagoon or Lebala camp for atleast 3 nights is something i recommend....they do their transfers via Kasane by their own airline (Moremi Air). This way you can transfer to either camp within two hours without missing any activity.

Hopping from Livingstone to Sabi Sands, is a bit out of the way especially since you need to go via joburg again....

Yes, agreed it is a LONG way from the caribbean to just go to Tongabezi and back.....

Hari