Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Widerness Lodges (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/widerness-lodges-1113024/)

chitowntraveler Jun 16th, 2016 10:58 AM

Widerness Lodges
 
Due to international flight issues, my family ended up having to move our entire trip up a week so now we are going to be in Botswana beginning of May versus mid may. Not a big deal but we had to change 2 of our 3 camps and our Livingston hotel due to availability.

Originally: Royal Livingston - Duma Tau - Vumbura N - Chiefs
Now: Victoria Falls - Kings Pool - Jao Camp - Chiefs

Being able to get to and from the United States had to be first priority but reading reviews I feel like we might have been happier before. We are also going to Singita at the beginning of the trip as well.

Is this still good choices?

uhoh_busted Jun 17th, 2016 09:17 AM

Where are you staying in Vic Falls? We really loved the Zimbabwe side, as the falls views from there are best. I think you will love your camps. We have stayed at Wilderness Camps before and they are pretty wonderful, no matter where they are located. I loved the Okavango Delta. Really beautiful.

ekscrunchy Jun 25th, 2016 12:39 PM

Could you be more specific about your concern?

Would you mind sharing about the flight issues? I have a trip planned for next May (all camps booked) but have not yet booked flights from the US.

FromDC Jun 25th, 2016 02:40 PM

Ekscrunchy, your 07 TR was critical in planning our first SA trip in 09, now hoping for another trip to Africa soon, hopefully Botswana around the same time period. Do you mind telling us where you are staying?

chitowntraveler Jun 26th, 2016 08:09 PM

ekschrunchy, we wanted to fly on saver miles and it is just very difficult to get them since they are limited. And we are 3 people which made it even tougher. So when we ended up moving our dates we lost some lodges.

ekscrunchy Jun 28th, 2016 10:14 AM

DC: Of course! I actually had everything booked for this year (mid-late May) but had to cancel due to medical issues with travel partner, and was lucky enough to get the same camps for next year at around same time. (Again, I can thank my wonderful agent, Liesl Matthews, at Southern Destinations for being so understanding and helpful on this)

(Very disappointed with the trip insurance agency, AXA, as they would not allow me to do the change since I bought the policy 25 months before the new planned departure date and their limit is 24 months. Happily, I had not yet bought the airline tickets so did not lose anything there)

Fly from NYC to J'Burg; stay in J'burg for 3 nights.

Vumbura Plains, Zarafa, Little Mombo

Have not yet booked flights but will do that soon; have to decide whether to go on KLM via AMS and maybe stay a night or two in AMS, or to try SAA.
I

FromDC Jun 28th, 2016 02:35 PM

Thank you, we used Leisl on your recommendation and thought she was terrific. Glad to know she is still in the business.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:40 PM.