Why do all the mosques have green lights?

Apr 2nd, 2001, 11:56 AM
Cathy

Why do all the mosques have green lights?

Okay, hope this doesn't show up twice. I posted a few minutes ago but it never came up on the messages. Does anyone know why all of the mosques have the same unusual shade of green lights in Cairo? Is it symbolic of something?

Apr 4th, 2001, 08:08 AM
Mary

Good question so I'm "topping" to see if someone can answer.

Apr 4th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Al

Could it be that green is the color of Islam?

Apr 19th, 2001, 09:16 AM
Khalil

some body told me once that the green color is the color of what the people in heaven are wearing. (LIBAS AHL ALJANNA) So, that is also why most of the domes of the mosques are green too.

Apr 23rd, 2001, 03:05 AM
gail

We asked our very knowledgeable tour guide the same question. She said it is just traditional and others have wondered. I suspect there is some reason dating back decades, but it may have nothing to do with religion.

Apr 25th, 2001, 09:29 AM
Ron

Take this for what it is worth of living 2 years in Cairo area. The flourescent green lights are seen wonderfully from fighter planes and bombers. It distinguishes a mosque from the air so the aforementioned can avoid it and respect religious beliefs even in less than peaceful times.

May 22nd, 2001, 11:28 AM
paul t

Green is the colour of Islam and the colour of creation . The dome of the Prophet's Mosque in madinah is green . It is the colour of nature .

Jun 3rd, 2001, 10:07 AM
Ariane

If the green is the colour of Islam why the dome of Dome of the Rock (Temple Mount) in Jerusalem is golden?

Jul 13th, 2001, 08:59 AM
Gibran

The colour of the Golden Dome on the temple mount is not originally golden. It is just when king Hussein of Jordan donated about 220 pounds of pure 24 k gold and some $10 millions, in order to make the restorations. It is actually more political than religious color .

Search this Thread