why bother visiting Johannesburg?

Dec 3rd, 2000, 02:04 PM
Eze

why bother visiting Johannesburg?

Hi everybody!
I'm planning to visit SA in Jan/Feb 2001, and after reading all the messages posted, I've decided not to visit Jo'burg (everybody says it's a dangerous place and I won't miss so much). Is it safer in Pretoria, or is it the same?
I'd appreciate any suggestions.
PS: has anybody been to Kapama game park reserve?

Dec 3rd, 2000, 09:36 PM
Nigel

There is more to see in Pretoria than in Johannesburg, but you still have to be very careful. Basically don't just walk around, travel by car everywhere during the day, and be extremely cautious at night - I was hijacked in Church Street - right in the middle of Town, at 11.00pm one sunday night about 5 months ago - they didn't get my car, but they stabbed my face and neck leaving me in hospital for four days, and requiring extensive plastic surgery!

Dec 5th, 2000, 05:11 AM
USFlyer

Pretoria is a lot more interesting and safer than Jo'burg but I wouldn't just walk around the city-CT is the only city in SA where you can still do that. I remember driving into the city on Potgieter Straat and this group of young blacks were hanging around on the street corner and you could just tell that they were planning to mug/hijack somebody.

Dec 5th, 2000, 09:36 AM
james

Go to Jo'burg - but only as long as it takes to get the tranfer to Sun City.

Search this Thread