Who wants to go to Kenya now?

Nov 28th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Traveler

Who wants to go to Kenya now?

following todays terrorist attacks?

Nov 28th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Tangata

Why on earth not go? If you are only going to go to countries that have not had a terrorist attack the your travels will be very limited. Rule out all of Europe and most of the Americas to start with.

Nov 28th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Traveler

Who wants to go to New York City now?
Who wants to go to Moscow now?
Who wants to go to Bali now?
Who wants to go to Israel now?
Who wants to go to Egypt now?
Who wants to go to Munich now?
Who wants to go to Oklahoma now?
Should I say more?

Nov 29th, 2002, 01:58 PM
karl

I would avoid Kenya now since they are on the Travel Warnings list of the State Dept.
I don't think that NYC is on the list though.

Nov 29th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Wulfstan

State Dept warnings! Hahah if you would listen to those guys you wont go anywhere!

Nov 30th, 2002, 02:26 AM
Gary Mortimer

Don't let the buggers win

Gary

http://www.balloonsafarisdirect.com

Nov 30th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Smith

The US State Department actually has not issued a Travel Warning re Kenya. There is a new Public Announcement re East Africa in general, which you can read here: http://www.travel.state.gov/eafrica_announce.html. And the State Department doesn't issue Announcements or Warnings re areas that are part of the US (e.g. New York) - its publications are re international travel. The UK has also updated its fact sheet on Kenya, but hasn't issued a warning.

Nov 30th, 2002, 03:31 PM
x

sorry Smith-if you type Kenya into the US Government Travel Warnings they warn people about the recent terror attacks. That is a warning to me.

Dec 2nd, 2002, 11:55 AM
Thyra

This just breaks my heart, the Kenyan people suffer so much and have so little, a huge loss of tourism will hurt them tremendously! We were in Kenya this past April and the people are some of the finest I have met anywhere. Of course, I live in Los Angeles, where a fresh round of gang violence has been killing people in record numbers this past month. Drive bys are at an all time high and a lot of young people carry automatic weapons. Should I stay indoors??? No, though frankly, I would guess that my odds of dying violently are FAR more significant three blocks away from my house then in Kenya.

Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:50 PM
noeleen

I would go back. Remember these terrorist attacks are happening all over the world. None of us know where these terrorists will strike. It could happen in your own home town. So this person will still travel.

Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:37 AM
Jim

Of course there could be terrorist attacks anywhere, but the likelihood is greater in some places than others. On Nov. 12 the Australian gov't issued a warning about Kenya, perhaps because of its failure to issue a warning after receiving some information prior to the Bali attacks. The recent attacks makes it twice in the past few years terrorists have struck there. They must have some way of doing so, so it's not plausible to say every single place is equally likely. Iceland, for instance, probably isn't a target.

In any case, everyone has to make their own decision, and like someone said, the people there need the business.

Dec 5th, 2002, 03:44 PM
SStone

Although it is true that it can happen anywhere, I think that once it has happened somewhere (Bali, Kenya) then many people will not risk going there.
Right after the WTC attack, many people were not coming to NYC or the US.
My answer right now is NO, I would not go to Kenya or Africa right now.

Dec 5th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Smith

X - there's no need to apologise. The difficulty is just that the US State Department has several different levels of advisory statements. 'Warning' has a specific meaning, which they define on their webpage along with the other types of statement. Therefore, it is misleading to claim that they have issued a warning when they have not. Also, no point in warning - whatever you definition - about something that's already happened - one could use the same logic to avoid New York City.

Search this Thread