Who are the best guides

Apr 4th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Who are the best guides

All these camps are just great, but so many times it gets down to the guides. Like John Coppinger,John Stevens, Robin Pope, Mark Harvey. That should be a major consideration in your guiding your decision.So, in your opinion, who are the best guides at which camps/companies?
Apr 4th, 2005, 06:28 PM

Here is my opinon of guides in Zambia:

Rod Tether in Kutandala in North Luangwa.

Brian Jackson, if he is still at Tafika or the sister camps, South Luangwa.

Craig (his wife is Janine)last name????? in Kafue at Busanga Bush Camp. Craig usually took a spotter along too, so there were 4 trained eyes. The Craig-spotter combo was wonderful and found servals in tall grass several times.

At the Norman Carr camps was a guide named Aubrey (spelling is right I think). I've never been to the Carr camps but I met Aubrey in the Lower Zambezi when he was participating in a "guide exchange" program. He spent 4 days as a guest with me while we were guided by the Lower Zambezi guide. But Aubrey was far more than a guest and resorted to his guide mode for spotting game and offering information. Plus he was a delightful chap.

Apr 5th, 2005, 06:55 AM

luangwablondes: I agree with you on the importance of guides. A while back I started a thread like this with the hope of there being a continually updated reference thread on guides but it hasn't really kept up. However, this link does have quite a bit of good info.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...iologist&fid=4
Apr 5th, 2005, 06:57 PM

Iwould also be interested in your opinions of East African guides in Kenya and Tanzania, good or bad! Especially Wildtrek (Kenya) and Roy Safaris (Tanzania).

This board is amazing - Thanks!

Search this Thread