white athletic shoes ok?

Feb 8th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

white athletic shoes ok?

Safari info said no white athletic shoes! Why?
Feb 8th, 2007, 02:33 PM

I wore white Nike walking shoes in Kenya, even on a game walk. I thought about the issue (we went overboard on natural colored clothes). However, my thought was, "hey I will be in a game vehicle, the animals won't see the color of my shoes."

On the game walk in Samburu, the giraffes walked towards us, not away from us. Maybe they wanted a better look at my Nikes. "Hey, dude. Cool shoes!"

I think your tour operator is being a bit overcautious.

My humble opinion,

Kevin from California
Feb 8th, 2007, 02:44 PM

Who gave you that advise?
Sounds a little silly to me.
I would guard against wearing zebra styled trousers and walking with a limp, other than that you are quite fine in your whities.
Feb 8th, 2007, 03:01 PM

for once I agree with somebody
Its "more than a little silly"
you will be traveling long distances over dusty (maybe) bumpy (definately) raods and with probably long flights as well
Therefore I would suggest you wear clothes and shoes that you are comfortable in and with
better advice would be to take some wetwipes to keep your hands and face clean
and thats my humble opinion
Geelong from Geelong
Feb 8th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Whoever gave you that advice may have been concerned that those white shoes will end up beige from the fine sand. If dirty shoes are not a problem for you, the animals won't mind. I couldn't tell you what other guests had on their feet.
Feb 8th, 2007, 05:20 PM

I can only imagine it was advice rather than a rule (that would be silly), and like Lynn suggest it's because white shows the dirt. I wear white and near-white quite a bit because I like it, but not on safari. One of the keys to travelling light is to not need many changes of clothing and footwear. The dirtier you look, the more often you may feel like changing during the day. Somehow, scruffy-looking white shoes are more off-putting to me than brown ones which have had a hard day.

John
Feb 8th, 2007, 05:29 PM
santharamhari

I usually take my running shoes on safari (only shoes) simply because they are comfortable. Especially, if there is a possibility of one or two walking safaris. I take these with me simply because i have had calf/shin muscle issues in the past and wont take any chances.......

Hari

Feb 8th, 2007, 05:50 PM

But you don't have just white running shoes, do you, Hari? They come in all sorts of colours, nowadays, don't they? (I'm so ancient I can remember when 'sandshoes', 'sneakers', 'runners' and so on were only white ).

John
Feb 8th, 2007, 06:20 PM

If you are going on a walking safari in South Luangwa, they might discourage the white shoes, but don't worry about them anywhere else.
Feb 8th, 2007, 06:40 PM
santharamhari

John,

No...they are not "just white shoes" they have hints of blue, yellow (Brooks Adrenaline 6) getting technical, here......
Hari

Feb 8th, 2007, 07:17 PM

Remember the PF Flyers? Speaking of ancient. They have only been in the US.
Feb 8th, 2007, 07:29 PM
santharamhari

what is PF flyers?

Feb 8th, 2007, 08:05 PM

I'd never heard of them either, Hari, but the internet is a wonderful thing (if you can sort the wheat from the chaff): http://www.pfflyers.com/p_history_p1.html

John
Feb 8th, 2007, 08:28 PM
santharamhari

ok, thanks John....

Feb 9th, 2007, 06:01 AM
sandi

I see that comment as a "recommendation" only, as OP mentions, because they'll show dirt - dust, mud.

I actually got a pair of slip-in keds stuck in the mud around Lk. Nakuru, foot came right out and into the mud. Needless to say, I was barefoot balance of afternoon in vehicle.

Once back at our room/tent, tossed the Keds into the sink. They were leather and very easy to wash inside and out; dry next morning; believe canvas would have been more of a problem. The feet went into the shower.

Whatever you do, don't bring new shoes, any kind; those that have been broken in.