Which shoes for South African battlefield tour?

Jan 21st, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Which shoes for South African battlefield tour?

In November 2005 my husband and I will be touring the Anglo-Zulu and Anglo-Boer battlefields in South Africa, for ten days.

My question: which shoes? The tour is informal and doesn't involve game-viewing or miles and miles of hiking.

I was thinking of taking my Birkenstock sandals and a pair of cross-trainers, but have heard that it could be rainy at that time of year.

I have to ask this far ahead because if I have to buy new shoes, it could take a few months to find them and then get used to them.

My husband is indifferent to the whole question of shoes...
Jan 21st, 2005, 01:26 PM

The early summer rain around there usually falls in the form of afternoon or evening showers.

Cross-trainers sound fine. I notice some of them are made of Gore-Tex, and that probably would be good.

I don't know about the Birkenstocks. They're comfortable, of course, but mine aren't waterproof. I think a Teva sandal (or a Teva look-alike) may be better. I have both kinds, and I prefer to take the waterproof ones into any situation in which they might get wet.

Hope that helps.
Jan 24th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Judy. Your posts here and on the Canada forum are always practical, helpful, and sympathetic.

Search this Thread