Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Which of the Sabi Sabi Private Lodges? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/which-of-the-sabi-sabi-private-lodges-682138/)

Rose1979 Feb 22nd, 2007 01:26 PM

Which of the Sabi Sabi Private Lodges?

Hi All

Which of the Sabi Sabi resorts do you think would be more suitable for a honeymoon? Im sure Earth Lodge would be one of the best but I think it may go over our budget! What about Bush Lodge,Little Bush Lodge or Selati Lodge?? Or should we spend the extra money at Earth Lodge?

Thanks Everyone

Roccco Feb 22nd, 2007 03:51 PM

Hi Rose,

I was just recently at each of the lodges you mention. Value for money, my vote would probably go with Selati, although if you can afford even a single night at Earth Lodge, it would be worth it as a grande finale and not take more than 30 minutes to transfer.

Little Bush Lodge was also surprisingly VERY NICE and VERY INTIMATE (only 5 or 6 rooms).

Bush Lodge is better for larger groups and may not be the best honeymoon choice, especially since Little Bush Lodge will probably be around the same price or not much more.

The Sabi Sabi experience is an excellent one and will not disappoint. I should have photos up soon of my time at Sabi Sabi.

mkhonzo Feb 22nd, 2007 04:12 PM

Rose, Selati gets my vote.
I enjoy the "old" feel that is exuded through its decor and style.

I have noticed on a couple of occassions that Sabi does offer some fly-in packages, which might assist you in meeting your budget.

Zenz Feb 23rd, 2007 03:01 AM

I rate Selati as the most romantic lodge in the S.S.W. a great destination for your honeymoon. Enjoy!

TEXDOC Feb 28th, 2007 09:45 PM

Wife and I were there in mid october. Stayed at Selati - wonderful ! Individual Lodgettes. Lanterns supply most of light, VERY ROMANTIC !

theras Mar 5th, 2007 12:39 PM

We are intending to stay at Little Bush Lodge in Jan'08. We are looking at 5 to 7 nites. Rocco....whats your thoughts one this # of nites there. Any words on the game drives and walks?

santharamhari Mar 5th, 2007 09:01 PM

Rocco,

What is the traversing area of Sabi Sabi in the SSGR? as i recall one boundary is with lion sands.....who are the other neighbors?

Thanks
H

Roccco Mar 5th, 2007 10:01 PM

Hari,

Sabi Sabi borders Mala Mala on one of its other borders.

Really, I found it a very sufficiently sized property and never paid much attention to the other borders.

Great leopard viewing...someday soon I will get through with my Chiefs Camp and then Little Kwara photos and put up my Sabi Sabi photos which are fantastic.

I would return to Sabi Sabi in a heartbeat.

Theras,

I think six nights at Sabi Sabi would not necessarily be overkill, especially if you spent a couple nights at each lodge. If so, I would start out with Little Bushcamp, move onto Selati Camp and finish up with Earth Lodge, if it was in the budget.

Otherwise, even 3 nights at Little Bushcamp followed by 3 nights at Selati Camp would be wonderful.

cary999 Mar 5th, 2007 10:13 PM

FWIW, Sabi Sabi's boasting of and celebrities picture page makes me want to puke.
http://www.sabisabi.com/celeb2.php
regards - tom

Roccco Mar 5th, 2007 11:33 PM

Hmmm...never found occasion to be bothered by the celebrity photos.

I do, however, LOVE the downloads available on the Sabi Sabi website (for a screensaver and a 12 month calendar).

http://www.sabisabi.com/downloads.php

cary999 Mar 6th, 2007 12:03 AM

Just checking it out to see if my photo is there, but of course not, I've never been to Sabi Sabi :-)
regards - tom

mkhonzo Mar 6th, 2007 03:18 AM

Back in the 80's & 90's South Africa was not the most popular tourist destination, in fact it was for many markets a black listed destination.

In those years entrepenuers across all markets were as innoivative as possible to gain international attention. Between mala mala, londolozi and sabi sabi there was a fairly aggressive marketing war on the go to appeal to as much of the international as would be profitable. It is not unreasonable to understand the use of celebrity endorsements to gain an edge in the market place. This tactic was not only used by sabi, but by the other two name brands as well.

The fact that this make you want to puke Tom reflect not only on your character but also your appreciation of the destination that you profess to so adore.

Hope that my comment reduces some of your venom and trust that by now you will have purged your system of whatever affliction you have for a fine website and a great game reserve.

blackwell Mar 24th, 2007 12:10 PM

you picketr the best place to go but i would conceader staying at malamala

enlehman76 Oct 28th, 2007 01:17 PM

My husband and I are going to Sabi Sabi for three nights in August 2008. We are deciding between Bush, Little Bush, and Selati. We would like to have a room with a private deck, outdoor shower, and overall a really luxurious feel. Please help.

theras Oct 29th, 2007 01:04 PM

Little bush suites each have a small veranda overlooking the riverbed. Selati has an more old era feel about it but does not have private viewing areas. Sealti has the power turned off at night and all is lit by laterns. Both have outdoor showers. Bush lodge is the larger of the 3 with many more rooms. all three are about 20 minutes from each other.