Which of the following iteneraries would you pick???

Mar 7th, 2003, 01:09 AM
Original Poster

Which of the following iteneraries would you pick???

(listed in sequence of trip, i.e., Option 1 would begin in Cape Town and end in Joburg while Option 2 would begin in Joburg and end in Cape Town)

Option 1:

Cape Town - 4 Nights at Twelve Apostles Hotel, a 5* hotel in Camps Bay.
Sabi Sand Reserve - 3 Nights at Vuyatela, the new upscale lodge of Djuma, each chalet featuring its own plunge pool.
Sabi Sand Reserve - 3 Nights at Lion Sands, a nice looking game lodge within close proximity to the Sand River.
Johannesburg - 4 Nights at Michelangelo Hotel in Sandton district.
Total cost for this package including international air from LAX, domestic African air, accomodations and all road transfers: $8,000 USD

OPTION 2:
Johannesburg - 4 Nights at Michelangelo Hotel in Sandton district.
South Luanga, Zambia - 5 Nights at Tena Tena, (Robin Pope's safari camp).
Cape Town - 5 Nights at Twelve Apostles Hotel in Camps Bay.
Total cost including international air from LAX, domestic African air, accomodations and lodging: $8,500 USD

Despite paying nearly $800 per night for Tena Tena in South Luanga, Zambia, and having a further flight to Zambia instead of Hoedspruit or Kruger Mpumalanga, the fact that Robin Pope includes all transfers, drinks, including alcoholic drinks, I suppose, and laundry service, makes Option 2 a very attractive option.

I do feel like I am being a wimp if I do not venture outside the Sabi Sand reserve on this, my 2nd trip to Southern Africa. I did spend time in Zimbabwe last year, but that was still within the Victoria Falls area.

I am pretty unfamiliar with the South Luanga area of Zambia but it is highly reputable and if one of Africa's most celebrated safari guides chose to make it his home base, then that does speak volumes.

I would appreciate any and all feedback on this as I would really like to finalize my trip in the next week or two.

If there are any other very attractive options that will offer great game viewing and is easily accessible from Johannesburg or Cape Town, I would be very interested in learning about such places. I only have about 5 nights that I can spend outside of South Africa.

Thanks.
Mar 7th, 2003, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

How about this one???

4 Nights Joburg - Junior Suite at the Michelangelo Hotel.

4 Nights South Luangwa Valley, Zambia - Chichele Lodge.

2 Nights Tongabezi Island Camp, 3kms upstream from Victoria Falls on Zambian side.

4 Nights Cape Town, Twelve Apostles Hotel.

International Air from LAX - $2600
Domestic Air - $1100
4 Nights Chichele Lodge - $2500
2 Nights Tongabezi Island Lodge - $1100
4 Nights Michelangelo - $620
4 Nights Twelve Apostles - $580
Transfers - $250

Total Package - $8,750

This is starting to sound more exciting than Sabi Sand. Anybody been to South Luangwa Valley in Zambia???

Search this Thread