Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Which Island in the Indian Ocean? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/which-island-in-the-indian-ocean-338167/)

OSC Jul 17th, 2003 10:57 AM

Which Island in the Indian Ocean?

We are trying to decide between ending our Botswana/South Africa vacation with a 4 or 5 night stay in Seychelles or Mauritius. I have read previous posts, and get the impression that Mauritius is more commercialized than Seychelles. Is this true?
We are looking for an intimate hotel on a fabulous beach that offers good snorkeling and scuba diving. Hotels that appeal to us (at least based on their websites) are: The Oberoi (Mauritius), The Royal Palm Hotel (Mauritius) and Lemuria (Seychelles). If you have stayed at any of these resorts, and can comment on your experience, that would be helpful. The rest of our holiday will include Mombo and Singita, so we are looking for the same level of luxury on one of the islands.

Thanks for your help.

sandi Jul 17th, 2003 12:15 PM

I forgt about the Lemuria in the Seychelles. Built after we were there as have been the other two I mentioned in earlier post (except L'Archipel).

Our main concern visiting The Seychelles was that our hotel have air conditioning - some didn't, and maybe even some of the new ones might not have, so if this is important to you considering that the temps and humidity are high - do ask. Almost every hotel will have at least fans and that might be sufficient for you.

Yes, the Seychelles are less commercial than Mauritius - they have even been known to be called "the original Garden of Eden" and if you visit the Valley de Mai on Praslin, you'll see why and wait till you see the giant tortoises.

While 4 or 5 nights would be a wonderful way to relax after southern Africa, you must check the airline schedules (assume from JNB) as the carriers don't fly daily; also how these schedules work with your flight home from JNB.

When we visited after our time in Tanzania (departing from Nairobi), we had to stay 1-wk, which was fine with us, as the flight schedules either gave us 3-days (not enough) or the 1-wk (which was perfect).

Maybe some other posters have comments on Mauritius hotels, but my personal preference is The Seychelles.

OSC Jul 17th, 2003 01:06 PM

Thanks Sandi, I really appreciate your help. What time of year did you visit Seychelles? Our tentative itinerary has us arriving the last week of September. I'm hoping the weather will be good at this time of year.

sandi Jul 17th, 2003 01:33 PM

We visited end Nov/beg Dec and it was hot and humid (but nothing like last year in SEAsia - thankfully).

Because you don't have big cities there is no air polution. Victoria is the capital on Mahe island (where you'll arrive), but again, no big buildings, nothings is allowed to be built higher than a palm tree. It's green all over the islands.

Please remind me on what island will you be staying? If Lemuria, is that on Praslin? If yes, and you're not on one of the outer islands, you can do day trips (when not snorkling of scuba)to close-in islands and they're lots of fun. At least one day do a trip to La Digue, where no cars are allowed; you can rent bicycles to get round the island and the area at Source d'Argent is amazing with the natural granite stones and the quiet beaches. Most beaches are quiet and remote. You can rent a car (these little yellow things) for a day and do an island tour; there are gas stations/pumps all around the islands and you can't get lost. Also try to get to Courious (sp) island where you'll find the beautiful fairy terns and longtails (remember to wear a hat). You can photograph them (without flash) real close up, even in the forest and get beautiful clear pics.

Unfortunately, The Seychelles are so far away, you can only do them as an extension to a stay in Africa - otherwise, it's a long way (and expensive) to go for a beach, even if tese islands are close to paradise.

With the exception of any scheduled activity, remember that you are on "Seychelles time", so don't expect your dinner to be in front of you within a flash - sit, relax, enjoy - also alot of foods have interesting spices, as you do have a population mix of African, Indian. A number of hotels/resorts do have beach BBQs.

Do you have any spare room in your suitcase??? I'd squeeze myself in anyway I could. HA! HA! I know you'll enjoy.

sandi Jul 17th, 2003 01:37 PM

One more thing - don't expect to find many, if any, Americans here.

Lots of Europeans - German, French, British, Italians. The latter have some enclaves exclusive for Italians.

We met only one American couple when we visited; they were visiting their son and his wife and their year old granddaughter.

JamesA Jul 19th, 2003 06:01 PM

Seychelles are quiet tropical beaches. Mauritius is beaches plus a cultural experience. Indians/Chinese/Europeans/Africans plus all mixtures, temples next to churches, there is certainly far more to see and lots more to do.
If you want to find cheap/budget accommodation near the beach in Mauritius is is possible, the Seychelles is very expensive.
Personal opinion of course but I found the seychelles to be great scenary wise but Mauritius was far more interesting.

lwallace44 Aug 1st, 2003 12:18 PM

OSC,

I have stayed at all of the resorts you mentioned in Mauritius and Seychelles as well as others. If you would like to email me separately I would be happy to discuss with you.

[email protected]

christo Aug 2nd, 2003 05:41 AM

Hi, was in Mauritius in late April ( also at Mombo and Singita, you will love them, check out their wine cellars!)
Stayed at the Residence in Mauritius and was impressed and pleased. Good beach, snorkeling, laid back and quiet. Some children when we were there as it was a British school break. We also had dinner at the St. Geran and were impressed with it. They are both 5 star but larger and more resort like than Mombo\Singita. Mauritius is very pictoresque and culturally interesting, good cuisine and easy to arrange private tours in taxis at reasonable cost. There is good shopping in small boutique style shops especially for clothes and model ships. I beleieve it is easier to get to from J'berg than Seychelles. Daily 4 hour flights.
I have not been to Seychelles but as another post indicates I think it would be more just a beach place with fewer cultural diversions. Check out the new Wilderness Tours lodge there.
Bon Voyage. Chris.