Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Which hotel in Capetown? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/which-hotel-in-capetown-327781/)

Gilberto Jun 16th, 2003 07:37 AM

Which hotel in Capetown?

I'm actually considering the following hotels for may stay at Capetown (Sept 25-Oct2, 2003):Victoria & Alfred (better location?),Commodore (better view?), Portswood & Radisson Waterfront. I Would consider the least expensive alternatives if I'm not sacrificing anything really important. Need your comments.

Thanks

sandi Jun 16th, 2003 12:31 PM

Gilberto - Some friends stayed at the V&A and found it was tattered and needed refurbishing; the wrought-iron on the furnishings just had her crazy.

The Portswood gets good reviews, but we visited with some people we met while in CPT at The Commodore and "we liked". The rooms were nice size, (they had a Queen bed) - the view of the V&A waterfront was great and, of course, Table Mountain greeted them each morning.

The Commodore was only 1-block away from the Waterfront, the staff was friendly and gracious, the food (Breakfasts) were fine and if we hadn't done the Grace (which was really out of the way, even though right at the Waterfront), I'd do The Commodore on another trip.

thit_cho Jun 16th, 2003 12:46 PM

I stayed at the V&A last August, and didn't find it tattered at all. Comfortable, clean room with great location, and reasonably priced. I don't know anything about the other two hotels you've identified, but the V&A is a top mid-price hotel.

Selwyn_Davidowitz Jun 16th, 2003 04:05 PM

Hi Gilberto,

Must agree with Thit_cho and that is that the V&A is not tatterred at all however with that said everyone of the hotels that you mention are well placed in or near to the Waterfront and are all fine to stay at. If I were you I would let price be the guide you follow. If I am not mistaken that means you will probably land up at the Portswood which does not have the view that the other three hotels have however it still remains a very reasonable place to stay.

Hope this helps
Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]
Very proudly part of the wonderful ((r)) nation of South Africa

traci_local_in_sa Jun 16th, 2003 10:44 PM

Hi Gilberto
My two cents worth ... I've stayed in all three establishments - my first choice without a doubt is the V&A. It is my favourite hotel in Cape Town and the whole of SA. Be sure to book a mountain view room - the extra cost is worth it. The staff are wonderful, service is excellent, the location cannot be beat (it's better than the Cape Grace) and the rooms are far from tatty! The only reason I don't stay there everytime is the cost - it's a bit steep for us locals. I just love having breakfast in the conservatory gazing out over the bay at the mountain beyond. The price per room for the Commodore is about the same and the location is not nearly as good as the V&A. While the view at the Commodore is good it is definitely not better than V&A. The Portswood is right alongside the Commodore and the same comments apply. There is nothing wrong with Commodore or Portswood, service is good and the rooms comfortable. I'm just not a fan of big hotels where you are just a room number. What I really like about the V&A is that it is not that big a hotel and the personalised service is very much in evidence.

Gilberto Jun 17th, 2003 04:46 AM

Thanks again to all for your advice. I started to look for rates for these hotels and this is what I found:

Commodore $159 p/n breakfast included
Porstwood $147 " " "
Victoria & Alfred $218 p/n " "
Radisson Waterfront $206 " "

All rates based on One dollar = 8 ZAR

rubytwo Jun 17th, 2003 05:16 AM

We stayed at the V&A last October and I agree with the others. It was not at all "tattered". Our rooms very very lovely and quite large. The service was wonderful and definitely book a room with the mountain view...overlooking the harbor and the Table Mountain. Great location, lots of fun..couldn't recommend it highly enough..within easy walking distance of everything!

thit_cho Jun 17th, 2003 08:33 AM

One more positive factor in the V&A's favor is that it is right in the heart of the waterfront, which I found very convenient at night when I was more reluctant, however unjustified, to venture into the city center. We appreciated being able to walk at night from our hotel to restaurants, bars, shopping, etc.

DE Jun 17th, 2003 08:41 AM

Gilberto,

I just read on the hotel website that they are completely refurbishing the first floor of the hotel which began June 16 and will finish up the end of July, so if you choose to stay there during your trip in Sept., it will be quite spruced up.