Which accommodations to choose in Tanzania & Kenya

Feb 13th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Which accommodations to choose in Tanzania & Kenya

Am going to Tanzania & Kenya in February 2006. Which would you choose: Masai Mara=Intrepids, Governors or Kichwa Tembo. At the Ngorongoro Crater--Sopa or Serena for 2 nights? Do both have Rim Walks available since half-day tours of the Crater will be in effect? I think that the Serena is better hotel but have read that Sopa is better situated for access to game drives. Also, in Serengeti, have 4 nights scheduled. Have a choice of Kusini, Serena, or private luxury camping. Which would you choose and for how long at each site? Can spend 3 nights in Kusini or tenting and 1 at Serena or 2 at Kusini or camping and 2 in serena. If choice is Kusini or private camping near Ndutu--which is better? This forum is a great source for info--thanks to all of you!
Feb 14th, 2005, 03:33 AM

I am going to the southern Serengeti in a few weeks and will be spending 3 nights at Kusini Tented Camp and 2 nights at Ndutu Safari Lodge. If you can get into the tented camp at Ndutu it would be much smaller and private than the larger Ndutu Safari Lodge which at that time of the year is full and will seem very crowded for meals and getting out in the morning to view the animals. It is just the best spot in February when the migration is right there. If you go to www.ndutu.com, they have a picture of the migration on their home page that I have never seen before. I mean they are jam packed there are so many of them right there.
Kusini is still borders the southern area and is a smaller tented camp compared to the very large Serena Lodge in the central area. Most years the migration is concentrated in the southern area and that is exactly where you want to be.
Kusini is opening a smaller Little Kusini Camp that will concentrate on 2 day walks with fly camping. Their website mentions it. I should find out more about that in March and I will post it. Liz
Feb 14th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

THANKS Liz, You have scheduled 5 nights in the Southern Serengeti. I was planning to stay 2 or 3 in the South and 1 or 2 in the central area. I have never been to the Serengeti before and thought that I should include the central area. Should I re-think that idea? I could stay 2 at Ndutu camp and 2 in Kusini --what do you think? Can you visit the Gol Kopjes and the Moru Kopjes from the southern area or is it more convenient to be in the central area?
Feb 14th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Use this link:
http://www.africadreamsafaris.com/lodges/serengeti.html
Click on any area of the Serengeti and you will see the location of all campsites and lodges.
The link I gave you on your other thread was just for the southern area.
We wanted to go to more than one place in the southern area to have the best chance to be around the animals and see the most.
Since this is your first trip, you will want to see both the central and the southern areas. I've seen the migration in the central area before and it was what started this craze with me. The two areas are within a half days drive from each other. All the more reason to have your own vehicle and driver. Good luck. Liz

Search this Thread