Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Which 2 0r 3 to include?Savuti, Duba Plains, Okavango, Chobe, Moremi (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/which-2-0r-3-to-include-savuti-duba-plains-okavango-chobe-moremi-936020/)

LivingAmused May 21st, 2012 01:59 PM

Which 2 0r 3 to include?Savuti, Duba Plains, Okavango, Chobe, Moremi

I will be on my first Safari starting late June 2012. In South Africa, my heart is set on 2 nights in Mala Mala Rattray's (for its exclusivity/more private game drives). I am also definitely staying for 2 nights in Mashatu Tented Camps. Now we come to Botswana/Okavango Delta area. I have no more than 6 nights. For my time of travel (late June to early July), what are the best areas to stay at to maximize Game Viewing and to experience the different ecosystems. I would like comfortable and safe camps with unique locations. While luxury is nice, it is not vital.

Some of the camps I have considered are: Xigera, Tubu Tree, Orient Express Eagle Island & Khwai River, Mombo, Chitabe. Is spending so much on Mombo really worth it??? Please help.

Nilswood May 22nd, 2012 12:53 PM

Do something different than just being in a vehicle all the time on game drives. 3 nights Selinda Canoe Trail in the Selinda Reserve - a combination of easy paddling along the Selinda Spillway and plenty of walking opportunities - followed by 3 nights Duba Plains in the Okavango would be my top tip, or vice versa.

pixelpower May 23rd, 2012 01:45 AM

I'd stay longer at the places you choose. "2 nights" equals to "just one full day of safari activities while there". Yes, you may be able to join the afternoon activity on arrival, or the morning activity before departing, but that depends on transfer possibilities.

Something else not to forget; there's only one flight back from Mashatu (Polokwane) per day, which is in the afternoon. The morning flight is at 8AM, and since the reserve gates are not open early enough, you cannot get to it in time. Bottom line; if you arrive in Jo'Burg in the afternoon, and your connecting flight to another safari destination is already gone, you need to stay one night in the city.
For my customers, I therefor always put Mashatu as the last destination in their itinerary. This way, they get back to Jo'Burg in the afternoon and can take the red-eye home without losing a night in the bush.

So many people make the same mistake; wanting too much in too little time. 10 days is barely enough to see one country, let alone one two.

Want to maximize game viewing? Stay 3 nights in Mala Mala, 3 nights in a Timbavati Camp, and 4 nights at Mashatu. ;-)

Ciao,

J.

LivingAmused May 23rd, 2012 09:28 AM

Thanks for the replies. There is a charter flight between Mashatu and Mala Mala which takes care of the problem with flying out of Mashatu.

My plans at the moment are to spend 5 nights in Mashatu and Mala Mala and 6 nights in Northern Botswana.

pixelpower May 24th, 2012 10:51 PM

In your other thread you say your plans are to spend 4 nights in Sabi Sands, 6 in Botswana. :-D

Plenty of people gave the same advice there; don't put in too much. Why do you insist on wanting to do 2 countries at once in just 10 days? I just spend 18 days in Kruger area and still feel like I did not have enough time.

I'd either choose Botswana, and assemble a trip starting at Kasane (the falls), then working my way to Maun (Chobe, Savuti, Khwai and Okavango). Did that in 2008, but I had 16 days.

Or I'd do South Africa; 3-4 nights Mashatu, and then the private reserves near Kruger. To answer your question in that other thread; Timbavati offers about equal possibility than Sabi Sands. Or you can rough it up a bit and go to Klaserie (note; it's not the camps that are rough - check nThambo or Gomo Gomo for example - but it's nature).

Ciao,

J.

shedridt May 29th, 2012 02:54 PM

I'd do 2 days (day of arrival + 1) in Jo'burg to learn about the history of that country which is HUGELY moving, then go out to two camps in Botswana - one in the Okovango Delta, the other in the Makgadigake Salt Pans (I am certain I butchered spelling!). This will be a wonderful experience. Don't try to get from Mala Mala (which is terrific!) to Botswana in one short trip, in my humble opinion.