Where would you stay in the Serengeti?

Dec 23rd, 2012, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Where would you stay in the Serengeti?

I'm planning a trip to Tanzania--the Serengeti and Ruaha. I'm 99% certain I will stay at Serian Serengeti for 4-5 nights and am thinking I should add another camp in another part of the park. Dunia (?) was mentioned. I'm looking for suggestions. I will be going in July, I am a solo traveler and prefer the smaller camps. I like to be comfortable, but don't need luxury. Food is not important. I've been on safari a number of times, mostly southern africa. This will be my second visit to the Serengeti, the first time I went was not great.
This will be my third visit to Ruaha. I have stayed at Mwagusi, but will probably check out Kwihala this time. I'm considering combining it with Jongomero...
Would appreciate any ideas and am open to all suggestions.
Dec 23rd, 2012, 08:29 AM

Serian is in the North and rather expensive. Dunia is located south of Central Serengeti, and while not as expensive as the former... is costly. More so as a single. If you don't have own guide/vehicle ( I assume you won't as it would take quite a bit of time driving using up at minimum 1/day from JRO/Arusha to Central ) you'd have to fly between Central/North or vice versa.

If you'd like to visit Dunia, consider Olakira in the north as both are Asilia properties and likely offer an 'extended' stay discount. They'd arrange the transport between the two.

... and for someone who says "not interested in luxury" sure have selected those that are, even Jongomero in Ruaha.
Dec 26th, 2012, 09:21 AM

In July, the Lemai Wedge in the northern Serengeti should be a great area for the Migration. We stayed at the Serengeti Mara Camp. One advantage they have is open vehicles, much like they use in southern Africa. They are one of the only (or perhaps now one of the few) camps in the Wedge. Olakira is in a good location, too, next to a crossing point on the Mara River.

Search this Thread