Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Where would have the best animal viewing late Nov.-Dec.-early Jan.?

Where would have the best animal viewing late Nov.-Dec.-early Jan.?

Mar 7th, 2001, 08:35 AM
michele

Where would have the best animal viewing late Nov.-Dec.-early Jan.?

Not being very knowledgable about African weather or migration patterns, I am wondering what part of Africa would have the best animal viewing in late November or the month of December into early January? I would probably have two weeks to spend sometime during that time period. The areas that interest me most are either Kenya & Tanzania or Botswana, South Africa, and Victoria Falls. What is the weather like in these areas at that time of year and where would the best animal viewing be?

Mar 14th, 2001, 11:36 AM
kim

I was just in Kenya from Nov to Jan and it was fabulous! I don't think there really is a bad time to visit. The Wildebeast migration happens in the end of Nov, I think, but personally, I wouldn't plan a trip around that. I visited two game parks: Nakuru and Masai Mara and I saw lots of animals up close. Nakuru has more rhino and the Mara had the best lion and elephant sightings.

Mar 16th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Gar

have been in Namibia and found the Etoscha is a great place to veiw animals. even then You are near to Victoria falls, and for Namibia is a very safe and clean country to travel.
have fun
Gar

Mar 16th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Fran

Just got back from Luxor on 13 Mar. Had a four day safari in Kenya it was wonderful. We had game drives twice a day and saw animals and more animals. We expected a good trip, but never expected it to be as wonderful as it was. We were in the Masai Mara at the Intrepid camp. Had tents, which were very adequate and comfortable. If I can be of further help - drop a line. Fran

Mar 30th, 2001, 08:55 AM
buck

Just returned from Kenya, the rains just started the night before we left. We got stuck in the mud coming out of Ambosli but before that we saw plenty of animals all over. Mara Mara was the best for cats and most of the others. Amboseli for elephants and others. If it rains hard you can't go on the game drives as you will be stuck in mud most of the time and the animals are sparse as they don't have to come to the water holes after the rains. Try and go when its not the heavy rains.
We were stuck for a hr. with just one overnight rain storm. Good luck, Buck

Apr 6th, 2001, 02:03 AM
chris

All these months are very hot (January probably the hottest), so the animals tend to lie in the shade most of the day and only come out in early morning and at dusk. We have visited the Kruger in December and despite the heat saw a lot of animals (with young). The cutest probably being a pint sized warthog. These months are prime holiday season in SA, so book ahead, especially for the Kruger.

Apr 6th, 2001, 05:34 AM
buck

Forget about SA and go to Kenya. Its clean and safe except for Nairobi, and the people are warm and friendly, not hostile like SA. Airfares from us run about 1,000 and the us dollar is 75 to 1 for the Kenyan Schilling, a good deal for us but not for the Kenyans. The lodges are clean and safe with lots of security all over and the food is great, the roads are good for developing nation but passable, trouble if you have long rainy periods so go before april or after may. Have a good trip, if more info on which tour to take yell, Buck

Apr 6th, 2001, 06:46 AM
local

Kruger Park is the best known in SA, also for the scenic areas around such as Pilgrims Rest which is well worth a visit.

There are also some other good parks such as Pilanesberg near Sun City and Ithala, just south of Swaziland.

It is rainy season from Nov to Jan in these areas and in Kruger Park and Pilanesberg it can be scorching hot - upper 30s and 40 degrees Celsius is not uncommon.

As it is holiday season then, booking now is not too early!! Everything is very full and more expensive.

Be aware of distances, if you do not fly from Johannesburg to Skukuza (Kruger Park), it can be a 4 hour (plus) drive. Kruger Park is also malaria area.

See the following websites for more info:

www.parks-sa.co.za (look for the Kgalagadi Park that is a cross-border park into Botswana if you are into deserts, etc.)
www.wildnetafrica.com - for general info also about the other countries and
www.africam.com for web cams in these areas.

Search this Thread