Where to stay in Tarangire?

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Tarangire?

Hello,

I'm looking into places to stay in Tarangire. Is there a "best" place to stay? How about a best value place to stay? I'm looking into Treetops which looks kind of neat, but is it in a bad area for wildlife viewing? ATR seemed to like Mawe Ninga, but other posts here didn't give me a great feeling about their recommendation.

Thanks,
Carl
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:24 AM

When will you be traveling?

Treetops, Swala, Olivers or Nomad's are probably the best rated camps at Tarangire; also the most expensive - big buck$$$$.

Not surprising for ATR to recommend Mawe Ninga, as one of their "preferred" camps.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

July or August of next year. What's a good place that's not so expensive?
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:17 AM

Olivers is great, I was there this year.
Last year we were in the cheaper Tarangire Lodge for one night; Amazing view, near the entrance and bad food...
Not quite the bush experience you get at olivers
I'd go for Olivers
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:06 PM

If budget is a concern, and those I mentioned are costly, than Mawe Ninga is fine. But, so too would be River Camp or Kikoti Camp. The latter two should be about the same price in the mid-range.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:10 PM

We stayed here last September. The river was dry but just having two Maasia warriors walk you back to your tent each night was worth it. Also we we sure we heard an Elle right outside out tent one night. After breakfast, you will drive to the Tarangire National Park. Upon arrival at the park you will check-in at Tarangire River Camp for two-nights. During this time of the year there is a mini-migration taking place at Tarangire where you will find large herds or elephants, zebra; of course, cats and other predators, antelope and hopefully, the elusive leopard. If you are bird enthusiast, this is the place to be. But the best part about Tarangire is the landscape with the amazing Baobab trees … called by locals the “upside down tree” as the top branches look like tree roots. When you return to the camp you will enjoy “sundowners” around the camp fire and have the opportunity to share your game viewing stories. Dinner served at about 8pm
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 04:43 AM

We stayed at Mawe Ninga for two nights last October. It was my (14yr old) daughter's favourite stop. It was our first safri stop from Arusha and we really felt we has 'arrived'. It has a fabulous view over to Lake Burungi (?). Sunsets by the campfire are memorable. There are substantial permanent tents built on rocky outcrops. They are comfortable without being luxurious and have balconies with views over the trees. The long-drop toilets are basic but clean and the showers fine. Mawe Ninga has a calm atmosphere, partly coming from the shy gentility of the Masai workforce. Food is straightforward: scarcely outstanding but wholesome. There are hyraxes around, and a few monkeys and squirrels and lots of birdsong. We saw no big game immediately around but it was easily accessible and we spent an exhilerating whole day exploring the southern parts of Tarangire, seeing stalking lions, LOTS of elephant and an overall mix of wildlife (including birds) equal to our Serengeti experience. I haven't been to any other camps in Tarangire and, of course, what I've written is just one person's impression. Incidentally, in the context of our whole trip, Mawe Ninga was excellent value. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 01:11 AM

Hi,

Some friends of mine have stayed at Boundary Hill Lodge and raved about it. There are a few photos on the website: www.tarangireconservation.com
that may give you an idea of what it is like.

I have visted Treetops (but not stayed there) and it also looks very good.

Both are situated within the Tarangire Conservation area.

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:14 AM

I say Oliver's, it was a true bush feeling place. My family and I really enjoyed it and it was worth the money we paid. we were at the right place to drive around but in the eveining we went back to our cosy camp...This was the best. Also great food.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:25 AM

We stayed at Treetops in January, and the camp is extremely nice, but not exactly the "bush" feeling. The common area is large and plush, the tents on raised platforms are very nice and very large with a 40-foot long porch, and the food and service are very good. It is not actually inside the park, and you have to endure about an hour of very bad road to get to the camp from the main highway, but you can then access the park via back roads in about thirty minutes. There were lots of tsetse flies on the way to the lodge, but I think that is typical of Tarangire. Overall we really liked Treetops.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 10:24 AM

I agree with Oliver's Camp. If you can add a little more to your budget, Oliver's Camp is a smaller camp with great service and delicious food.

You can enjoy a morning walking safari with a guide from here. The walks range for a couple of hours. You are out seeking wildlife from afar.

You can also book an overnight fly camping trip. Simple tents and mattress but great for those seeking for an adventure.

Enjoy!