Where to stay in Dubai?

Aug 24th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Where to stay in Dubai?

My husband and I have got two free return flights from London to Dubai to be used before the end of 2005.

We were thinking of using them over new year and going for 5-7 days.

Where would we get the best deal on a 4* hotel over the new year period and is it better staying in the city or beach???

I am very confused!

Thanks SK
Aug 24th, 2004, 08:09 AM

My family and I were there from Jan 1st for a few days earlier this year. I found that getting a room by the beach was very hard and very expensive, premium rates, for the new year period.

We found a club floor suite at the Emirates Tower through asiatravel.com for quite a reasonable rate around $275 per night. The hotel was downtown but it was quite near all the malls.

Try and book early and you might find some bargain.

Aug 25th, 2004, 07:31 AM

I would stay at the beach, and go into town as you need it. I am not impressed by the malls and shopping in Dubai, so being in town is no advantage, and being at the beach is more relaxing. In my view, the only thing worth seeing in downtown Dubai are the old town areas. Even the gold souk did not do much for me, but then I lived in Hong Kong and saw enough gold jewellery. Most beach hotels are about a 20-30 minute drive to the downtown areas. I think some of the larger resorts may have shuttles, check their websites.

Another thought since you have so much time is to spend a few days in the desert. You can take jeep drives, camel and horse tours and enjoy the quiet evenings and stars. IMO the best hotel is Al Maha Desert Resort , but there are others, you might run a search. For the Al Maha take a look at the Leading Hotels of the World website at lhw.com or http://www.al-maha.com/homepage.html. You could spend 2 nights in the desert and the rest of the nights at the beach.

Search this Thread