Where to stay in Capetown?

Dec 12th, 2002, 05:33 AM
jane

Where to stay in Capetown?

We'll be there for about a week around the first of February and will have a car. Can anyone recommend a hotel for around $100 (or less) for a double? Is it better to stay in the center, at the waterfront or a suburb? With the cricket world cup going on, will it be a huge problem to find a good hotel? Thank you!

Dec 12th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Selwyn Davidowitz

Hello Jane,

I know that you are enquiring about hotels in Cape Town so let me tell you upfront that my advice to those who travel with me in Cape Town is that I always suggest that they stay in guesthouses and NOT hotels.

Owners of South African guesthouses are generally marvellous hosts. The ones that I use as a tour guide definitely are as such. Bear in mind that guesthouses represent excellent accommodation that is much more personalised at MUCH BETTER rates than hotels. An example of a guesthouse that I can get you into in Cape Town is Avanti Guesthouse. (see later on in this mail) http://www.avanti.co.za. I must at this stage add that guesthouses are marvellous venues to stay in and their rate also includes a fantastic breakfast. At Avanti, as an example you enjoy this meal in the wonderful, friendly breakfast room. When you are in the guesthouse you have total freedom of movement.. It is a wonderful free and easy style of holidaying. What also is most important is that because of the size of the guesthouse you will NOT be in amongst the hordes of tourists as you might only have a couple of other guests at the guesthouse while you are there. Thus you get great accommodation, personalised attention as well as wonderful value in a very safe place to stay when you reside in guesthouses and that is why I recommend them so highly

As far as Avanti is concerned I have spoken to the owners this afternoon and they have told me that they one double room available from 29 January to 6 February. I was quite amazed to hear this as mot venues are rock solid fully booked for the relevant period. With that said I would grab this opening a quickly as possible if I were you. If you take my advice please mention that you found out about this booking from me as you might find that Johan Mari Smuts (owners) are holding it in “pencilled” format in my name as I mad the enquiry and they could well think that I am sending a client to them. I made it quite clear to them that this was NOT the case but you never now so please cover your track by mentioning my name. I am also led to believe that it I room 4 that is open for booking so request this room if you do make the reservation.

Btw if you step outside the door from Avanti you are 100 yards away from Bantry Bay which is a seaview that you simply could never beat. The rooms are very well appointed and the venue is extremely well located. Most important is the fact that the rate at Avanti INCLUDING breakfat is R690/room/night ($80) so this should suit your pocket pretty well. It is for these reasons that I make use of their services regularly.

Without trying to make it sound frantic all I can say is book this venue soonest if you decide that it is suitable as its availablity will not be for long.

Hope you have a wonderful time in my city.

Dec 12th, 2002, 11:40 PM
lieve NOTRE

Hello Jane,
I totally agree with Selwyn. We stayed with Mari and Johan and had a lovely time. They are great hosts and I can really say we would have seen less if they had not helped and advised.
Enjoy your stay!
Lieve

Dec 20th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Rob

Jane, I would suggest staying at the Waterfront as it is just so convenient, or perhaps a guesthouse in the City Bowl area (e.g Gardens, Oranjezicht, Tamboorskloof etc.) or on the ocean (Sea Point, Green Point, Clifton, Camps Bay, Bantry Bay etc.) I agree that guesthouses offer great value. So do apartments (available for weekly rental) if you don't need someone to cook you breakfast every morning).

Search this Thread