Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to stay between Marrakech and Fez? Any recommendations for next week?

Mar 19th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

I must confess I'm leaving next week and I have left this till the last moment!

We're flying from San Francisco via London into Marrakech and out of Fez. I've booked us for three nights when we arrive at the Riad L'Orangerie and three nights at the end of our trip at Riad Laroussa in Fez. I'm happy with the choices and given that it is the Easter school hols I was glad to get these reservations several weeks ago.

WE have three days between Marrakech and Fez and we've booked a car. I've made a reservation for one night at Les Jardins de Skoura in Ouarzazate, we would have liked to stay longer but they're fully booked.

So here's my question where would you stay between Ouarzazate and Fez? We like the desert but my husband does not like camels and they don't like him, seriously I'm not joking, so the whole Lawrence of Arabia thing isn't going to work!

If I can't book anything we'll just wing it but the distances are considerable and I'd prefer to spend two nights in a place where we can do some walking. Kasbah Toubkal is booked and it's not really in the right direction! Any help on route would be helpful as it seems all the places people recommend look rather out of the way!

Hope you can help!
Mar 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Mar 20th, 2007, 10:40 AM

http://www.kasbahbenmoro.com/

http://www.kasbahdutoubkal.com/

These were two places I was considering but have decided to go to Essauoira after Marrakech.
Mar 21st, 2007, 11:30 AM

Got back from Morocco a few weeks ago. I would just like to mention that there is police radar in and out of the major tourist cities and venues. Please be careful. Also, if you've never driven in Morocco, be aware that it will be an experience. Cars and pedestrians claim the same space on the roads. We happened upon the aftermath of a car hitting a pedestrian in Casablanca. Also, dividing lines between lanes mean nothing other than it is a place to drive over.
Mar 21st, 2007, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Carta Pisana, thanks for the ideas Toubkal is booked and the other one is very close to the place we've booked. I've emailed a couple of places further north so hopefully we'll find something.

Fred - We'll bear the radar in mind! We've driven all over the place and Morocco sounds like a challenge. I must admit we went with a driver in Iran (which has the world's highest number of road accidents) and in India, both of which put Italian drivers to shame!T

hanks for the advice. I think that we're just going to wing it!