Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Where to stay and What safari ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/where-to-stay-and-what-safari-181693/)

noeleen Aug 27th, 2001 07:09 PM

Where to stay and What safari ?

Has anyone stayed in the voyager resort which is in north mombasa/nyali coast or at club Sun'n sand. These are both all inclusives and we were wondering what they are like. We are also taking a 3 night safari to Tsavo national Park. Will we see much game here as everything we have read seems to imply Masai Mara is better but as we are budget conscious we are thinking of the least expensive. Are we making a mistake

Celia Sep 10th, 2001 08:13 AM

Hi Noleen <BR>We stayed at the Voyager Resort last year and it was nice. If I tried to rate it I'd give it 3.5 - 4 stars. <BR>We also had the all-inclusive deal and the food was good. But I guess you get a bit tired of the buffet style lunch and dinners after a week! There are 3 restaurants to choose from and one of them is an a-la-carte where you'd have to pay but they offer a good discount. They offer a lot of sport activities,but some of the facilities looked a bit worn,the tennis courts in particular. But the hotel had just changed owners when we were there and I would assume that they've done some renovations since then. They had actually just re-opened an new pool area where they had updated all the facilities and I think there were more work planned.The hotel was far from fully booked when we were there and that meant a lot of space by the pools etc,but it also made it a little bit too quiet at times. But as I said I think that was partly due to the new ownership. All in all,we had a very nice time there. We stayed there after our 1 weeks safari and we visited the Masai Mara,Samburu,The Aberdares and Lake Nakuru. You will absolutely love the safari! It's the exerience of a lifetime and I would definately spend as much money on that part as you possibly can afford, and make it as long as possible.

noeleen Sep 11th, 2001 07:21 PM

Thanks for the reply Celia. We may be extending our safari. We are just waiting for a few more brochures and then we will make our decision.

Sue & Steve Oct 6th, 2001 08:05 AM

We stayed at club Sun and Sand last year and have friends who have also stayed there. It is a pleasant hotel with good food. There are two swimming pools, one used for activities and games the other is quiet and relaxing. <BR>There is a main buffet style dining room, a chinese restraunt, on Italian restraunt and a barbeque restraunt down by the beach where you can sample the game you see on safari! Impala, Zebra, Ostrich and Gazelle for example. <BR>The staff are very friendly and helpfull. <BR>Another good hotel North of Mombassa is the Turtle Bay Beach Club. <BR>If you can extend your safari, three nights is not enough. The first time we visited Kenya we went on a three day safari and felt we wanted more, the second time we extended the safari to four days but still wanted more. Last year we had seven days on safari in Tanzania and Kenya before going to the beach and found this was ideal for a two week break. One week travelling and getting up at dawn, the next week relaxing by the sea! <BR>Hope you enjoy your holiday.

Lara Oct 27th, 2001 07:29 AM

Hi, <BR>I don't know if you've already made your decision, but I was in Masai Mara this past August, and I think it was spectacular. What's great about the Mara is that the cars are not restricted to any roads or paths. Your driver can take you really, really close to the animals. We were within a mere 10 feet of much of the game. We were also lucky enough to see tons of game, many lions, cheetah, giraffes, etc. We stayed at the Mara Serena, which is absolutely beautiful. The rooms are gorgeous, as is the property. The food was great as well. Our guide was actually one from the hotel since we had a flying safari, and he was great! We also went to Amboseli and Samburu. If you need more details, just post your questions. Hope this is helpful.