Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to run? Where to stay in Capetown?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are avid long distance runners and are looking for sugestions where to run in Capetown (10 days in late August)...secondarily, where to stay in Capetown so that we might be able to run right from our hote...if one's budget allows, is Cape Grace hotel head and shoulders above all other Capetown hotels? We will surely be a little lighter in the wallet after the few previous days spent at Singita.
Old May 7th, 2005, 10:03 PM

fanelli,

Why not find yourself a race to participate in while you are in Cape Town?

www.runnersworld.co.za

Good luck!
Old May 7th, 2005, 10:04 PM

And if nothing else, I am sure there are quite a few Capetonians on the forum on the South African Runners World website that would be able to better assist you.
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:48 AM

If you're interested in trail runs, check out Cape Runners Against Gravity - www.crag.org.za. They list several routes - from 10k - 25k ish.

Roccco - how's the marathon training progress?
Old May 9th, 2005, 05:36 PM

dreaming,

Uuuuhhhh...I just walked around for about 3 miles at the L.A. Zoo, each Saturday and Sunday if that counts for anything.

I have been a total flake, in all honestly. Hopefully I will start up again this week as there is a relatively easy half marathon in about 3 weeks in Fontana (California) that loses 3,000' elevation over 13 miles. I could probably do that with no training but three weeks will definitely help.

Providing I can run a marathon by the end of the year, I will still be in a good position to run Two Oceans, but I really have not done myself any favors by not getting started sooner.
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

roccco,

thanks for the RW tip, I appreciate the connection...have already made contact with the trail runner group CRAG...appears that the only races in Cape Town area during our trip are a trail 50 mile and 100 mile...re: your apparent upcoming marathon, I may be of some worthwhile assistance as I've run 50 marathons and ultramarathons 2;25 marathon 3;05 50K 6;05 50 mile and 16:40 100 mile...also formerly head coach of US team (3 x) so don't hesitate to pick my brain as I know long distance running like you know SA

MF
[email protected]
www.SFluxuryhome.com
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:41 AM

We loved Cape Grace. It was beautiful and the service was excellent. The location was perfect on the water and in the middle of such an exciting area.
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:11 AM

If you end up staying at the Cape Grace your only option to "run right from our hotel" would be on some quite busy streets with not much in terms of scenery.
As an alternative, The Vineyard Hotel is easier on the wallet than Cape Grace, absolutely lovely and with a better mountain view than Cape Grace. There is a route/track set out from the hotel through the area which has lovely gardens. It's a 5km circuit which you can do twice if you are really energetic. A map of the route will be in your hotel room.
And although Cape Grace is stunning - it's not head and shoulders above other Cape Town hotels IMHO. As mentioned Vineyard is excellent as are the V&A & The Commodore.
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:12 AM
aks

As far as races go - Consider doing the Two Oceans Ultra Marathon (or Half-Marathon) - April 15th 2006. See you there !! http://www.twooceansmarathon.org.za