Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Where to meet upon arrival at Cairo airport, and group travel to city (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/where-to-meet-upon-arrival-at-cairo-airport-and-group-travel-to-city-1672869/)

nancythenice Oct 15th, 2019 08:35 AM

Where to meet upon arrival at Cairo airport, and group travel to city

We are a group of 5 friends traveling in Egypt together. We are each arriving at the Cairo airport at about the same time, but on 3 different flights: Lufthansa from Frankfurt, Egypt Air from Vienna, and Egypt Air from Athens. It appears those airlines all arrive at Terminal 3. We need to find one another so that we can travel into the city together. What would be the best place to specify for meeting up? Should it be at one of the arrival gates? Or should we proceed with getting luggage and then meet? Is there any danger if those arriving first leave their luggage uncollected for 30 minutes while they wait for the rest of us?

I would also appreciate suggestions for the best way that the 5 of us can get to our hotel...the Steigenberger at El Tahrir square. We will each have a large bag.

MmePerdu Oct 15th, 2019 08:51 AM

I'd suggest meeting at your hotel instead of at the airport. If one of the flights is delayed those there would be more comfortable at your hotel rather than at the airport which, if I recall correctly, is not a very comfortable place to hang around. So take taxis to the hotel as you arrive which will also save the bother of either prearranging a van or finding one after arrival. It probably will cost very little more for 3 regular taxis than a larger vehicle.

nancythenice Oct 15th, 2019 09:47 AM

Thanks, but some of the group would be nervous going it alone. We might split into 2 groups, of 3 people and 2 people, but some of us will need to meet at the airport. In addition, we prefer a prearranged transportation option if possible, rather than taxis. When exhusted from the transatlantic flight, and unfamiliar with the currency and language, this works better for us. In addition, I have read that the taxis may rip you off, and that you will be hassled unless you say you have something prearranged. This could be incorrect, but certainty is always nice upon arrival.

doug_stallings Oct 16th, 2019 06:03 AM

Your hotel already recommends a pick-up service by Sixt. Why don't you just use that?

You can certainly meet in the baggage claim area at the airport. That's the easiest place, but there's not really any place to sit, and you won't be allowed to approach any of the other gates. You'll be expected to move along.

I'd also recommend traveling to the hotel separately and meeting there.

janisj Oct 16th, 2019 08:23 AM

>>Thanks, but some of the group would be nervous going it alone. <<.

Please believe me that I am not being snarky, but truly believe that anyone who is too nervous to travel to their hotel on their own -- and especially since the hotel has a recommended service -- will have other 'issues' traveling Egypt.

Meeting in the airport can work just fine but delayed flights, possibly lost delayed luggage, etc -- it is usually a lot easier to meet at the hotel.

MmePerdu Oct 16th, 2019 09:11 AM

Regarding the response of the OP, I think this may be a case of not confusing anyone in the party with the facts as hearsay apparently trumps experience. I have no idea what "issues" are referred to above but, for me, a woman in my 70s who traveled alone for a month in Egypt, the worst "issues" I encountered were traffic in Cairo & the general state of dilapidation, understandable after years of much-reduced tourism. My feeling, though I wasn't concerned to begin with, is that Egypt is as safe a place to travel as anywhere.

I again recommend meeting at your hotel. As I & doug_stallings mentioned, Cairo Airport isn't a place designed for hanging around. In any case, you do need a plan and if the common sense option is vetoed, another possibility would be for everyone to proceed to the hotel attached to Terminal 3 and can be walked to, as I did when I spent my last night there, Le Méridien Cairo Airport. There's a seating area near the front desk. They have a shuttle but I didn't use it on arrival so don't know how to summon it. There's a pedestrian bridge that connects it to the airport & signs to follow, or just ask.
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...5-54ba596febe2

MmePerdu Oct 16th, 2019 09:18 AM

I'll just add, though going to the Meridian to wait will be comfortable, it still doesn't solve the problem of a delayed or cancelled flight, whereas going on to your hotel in town in separate cars does. This will be good getting-a-grip practice for the person in question, good for everyone.

janisj Oct 16th, 2019 10:04 AM

To clarify -- I also don't think there will be big scary issues anywhere. My point was that anyone (IMO) who is too nervous/timid to travel to a pre-booked hotel via a pre-booked car service may indeed have issues all over Egypt.

nancythenice Oct 16th, 2019 11:04 AM

I am the original OP. Although I appreciate the responses, I think a cumulative misunderstanding of my question has ocurred. None of us have "big scary issues" about traveling in Egypt, but for reasons I feel no need to further detail here, we would prefer to leave the airport together and thought Fodorites might have an idea of where we could meet up. Extrapolating from this that we would have "issues" traveling in Egypt seems unnecessarily negative and overblown. In addition, I had corresponded directly with our hotel prior to posting. They did not offer to provide a car service other than putting us in touch with a private service that did not have a vehicle that could accomodate us in one group. I was aware there are many car services, including those with kiosks in the airport, and was merely soliciting info on those that others might have successfully used. I have now arranged for our group to be met and transported together, so no need to respond further. I have previously participated in the Fodors forums extensively when planning other trips and have gotten outstanding advice for our travel adventures. I hope to do that again, without the cumulative misunderstandings that ocurred in the responses to this query.

MmePerdu Oct 16th, 2019 11:29 AM

I guess we've been told.

(No one should construe this comment as an actual response.)

avaalexander Oct 17th, 2019 04:16 AM

No depending on which flight arrives first either Lufthansa or Egypt Air both have service centers so why not wait at either one. Egypt Air or Lufthansa would have no problem putting an announcement out and advise you of flight has landed or just wait for them to come through in arrivals. Quite a simple thing if you know which flight they are on by arrival time.

HappyTrvlr Jan 25th, 2020 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by avaalexander (Post 17001796)
No depending on which flight arrives first either Lufthansa or Egypt Air both have service centers so why not wait at either one. Egypt Air or Lufthansa would have no problem putting an announcement out and advise you of flight has landed or just wait for them to come through in arrivals. Quite a simple thing if you know which flight they are on by arrival time.

We had a prearranged airport pickup to our hotel whom we did not find for forty-five minutes. We sat out in the airport’s main entrance lobby, lots of seating there. The driver “touts” constantly approached us with “deals.” Just say no and don’t make eye contact. It is safe sitting there.
Modern airport. Pre arrange a driver service from your hotel!!!