Where to Go in Tunisia?

Jun 5th, 2001, 10:00 AM
PJ

Where to Go in Tunisia?

Am taking a trip to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia & want to go over to Tunisia. Would like hotel info. best area on coast. Leaving in July. Any other travel tips appreciated for Tunisia.

Jun 6th, 2001, 12:24 AM
Ursula

PJ: First thing, Tunisia will be terribly hot in July just like Saudia Arabia as well. I have been to Tunisia several times and shall go back in October to Djerba Island. It's still fine with the temperatures.
Good but crowded beaches would be in Smir, Hammamet, Port-el-Kantaoui and Djerba Island. In all places, you will find hotels for all price ranges and golf courses too. One of the best is probably "Hasdrubal" in Hammamet, although I do not like Hammamet that much. It's VERY touristy and a favourite spot for Europeans. You will find places outside the hotel resorts rather poor and very dry. Tunisia is not a very rich country. A nice but touristy place for a day excursion would be Sidi Bou Said close to Tunis. Kairouan is famous for its mosque and worth a visit too.
I suggest you get a book about customs in Islamic countries. Do not offend the locals by wearing inappropriate clothes when going outside the hotel. This goes for women AND men! Tunisia and even more Saudia Arabia stick very much to their religion and customs.
In Saudi Arabia, women and foreign women are not allowed to drive. You will not get alcoholic drinks outside your hotel. These are just a few examples what you should be prepared to. Have fun and enjoy!

Jun 6th, 2001, 12:26 AM
Ursula

Sorry: Smir is in Morocco which would be nice to visit as well.

Search this Thread