Where to go in Botswana (2-3 months)

Dec 20th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Where to go in Botswana (2-3 months)

I will have the opportunity to travel to Botswana for an extended stay this year working in the field of international health. I am trying to learn more about various cities/towns/villages which may be options. I'd appreciate any input on the following places:
Maun
Kasane
Francistown
Gweta
Gumare
Rakofs
Serowe
Gaborone

It is difficult to find much info on most of these towns, so if you have been, please describe! Where would you want to stay and why?

THANKS!!!
Ali
Jan 1st, 2004, 07:17 PM

Hi Ali, while I'm new here, I get the impression most of the Africaphiles here go to Botswana for game viewing in the game reserves rather than to hang out in Botswana's towns.

I've never been to Botswana. I know people who have lived there in the past, although I don't know anyone who lives there currently.

Between what I've heard from my friends, and what I've now seen by looking up Lonely Planet's website, etc., I think there may be a reason for your difficulty in finding information on Botswana's towns. The reason is that the towns may be unremarkable.

Some friends who were transferred from one town to another, and lived in a few of Botswana's towns, liked Lobatse the best out of the places in which they were stationed, as I recall. That's based on an opinion which no longer can be described as current.

If I were you, I probably would base myself in the town that had the most suitable infrastructure and was most conveniently located for the kind of work I had to do.

Thereafter, I would take every opportunity to sneak out of town for a weekend -- go into the bush to view game, fly to Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe, that sort of thing.

Search this Thread