Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Where to find entertainment in Egypt that is not "just for tourists"? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/where-to-find-entertainment-in-egypt-that-is-not-just-for-tourists-871027/)

jahlie Dec 28th, 2010 10:05 AM

Where to find entertainment in Egypt that is not "just for tourists"?

I am traveling to Egypt in April 2011 and want to experience as much local culture as possible. Instead of music and entertainment put on at hotels just for tourists, we (my husband and another couple) would like to enjoy music and entertainment local Egyptians patronize. Any suggestions? We'll be in Cairo, Aswan and Luxor and thank anyone who can suggest authentic local entertainment.

Axel2DP Dec 28th, 2010 12:27 PM

You can try a local belly dancing club; There's one right off July Street in downtown Cairo. Guide books like Fodor will have recommendations, and they also recommend that it's best to go with an Egyptian guide so that those places won't rip you off on drinks, snacks, etc.

I highly recommend the free Sufi dancing when you're in Cairo. Yes tourists do attend the show, but you'll enjoy it nevertheless.

jahlie Dec 29th, 2010 09:11 AM

Where have you been? Did you go the the belly dancing club off July Street? What about music or song? Where would Egyptians go to hear local musicians or singers? That's what I want.

Casual_Cairo Dec 29th, 2010 11:24 PM

I say forget any belly dancing joints as they are pretty sleazy and considered by the locals to be houses of prostitution. Don't know if we would consider then THAT bad, but they are sleazy.

What you want to do is keep your eye on this web site www.yallabina.com You will learn about all the concerts and such going on around town. You can also google the Cairo Opera House for their website. They might have something oh that you would enjoy, and it's always very affordable.

jahlie Jan 2nd, 2011 05:58 AM

Thank you Casual_Cairo, that's exactly what I was looking for - local talent. Yallabina is currently promoting events at the Cairo Jazz Club and El Sakia (where there is some folk music) The El Mastaba Center for Egyptian Folk Music looks promising but their website is a bit out of date. Have you been there?

Casual_Cairo Jan 2nd, 2011 10:36 AM

No, sorry. My life has not been full of social events recently. If I get to a movie now and then, that is about all I do. Oh I lie, I went to a show at the Opera House not too long ago. Maybe I'm not quite the hermit I thought I was. HA! Anyway - I watch Yallabina just in case.

jahlie Jan 4th, 2011 04:17 PM

I checked the Opera House calendar and I don't see anything we're interested in for the dates we'll be in Cairo. That might change if they add programs, but if not, I'll keep checking the Yallabina website. What about Aswan or Luxor? Any ideas there?

jahlie Jan 4th, 2011 04:19 PM

Oh, and BTW, don't worry about "social events" - they are usually overrated unless they're with good friends, family and easy for all involved. At home I go to matinees and am in bed by 9:00!! Take care