Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to buy bug spray in Sydney, or Dubai..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone

I've noticed a few post-ers mention they are from Oz, so I'm hoping someone can advise if there are good places to do the pre-trip shopping in Sydney. Or Dubai, which we visit en route, but we'd be taking a risk to leave it till then.

We leave for our first safari (northern circuit Tanzania)in early Feb. I've been poring over all the helpful packing lists. I'm particularly interested in the slow-release DEET and the pyrmethin (?) treated clothing. I've visited the website for Paddy Pallin and Kathmandu outdoor shops but don't see anything like that, or much of a range at all.

Yes, if you are wondering, we do have bugs in Australia! They've never bothered me, so I'm not used to using bug repellent, but I can see I will have to when malaria and sleeping sickness are a danger. It seems like North Americans have access to much more variety of insect repellent, travel clothing etc. 20 years ago I was being eaten alive in the Amazon rainforest(now that was a great trip!)where the mozzies seemed to adore the taste of my pathetic so-called superstrength repellent, until I was rescued by a kindly American who shared her secret supply of something that actually worked. That has stayed in my memory ever since!

I can order stuff via website from US but postage makes that expensive of course, plus may not even arrive in time at this stage.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 05:18 AM

Quality DEET products are hard to come by in Dubai. Most pharmacies carry bug spray/cream but the choices are limited and DEET (50-100%)is almost impossible to find (Jumeriah Center, American Hospital). If you can get it in Australia, I would.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Hi enthusiast,

I'm Australian, from Brisbane, and regularly go on gameviewing safaris. As a rule, I use what is provided by the camps for insect spray, mozzies being my main focus, especially in summer. I always visit in Brisbane a place called The Travel Doctor, and get excellent advice from them regarding medications for malaria etc. You must have someone similiar in Sydney and that is where you would get your mozzie stuff!

I was in Tanzania in February 2001 and while I don't remember huge numbers of mozzies, I do remember the tetse flies, and nothing would slow them down unless they started to bite and you killed them. They drove us nuts, especially in really muddy areas after late rains. Something like our horse flies but in much larger numbers.

Kind regards,

Kaye
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

thanks very much for the advice. I'll follow up about the malaria drugs and other stuff with the travel medical service.

Today I trawled through the travel gear shops and saw some 80% DEET lotion and some wash-in permethrin so I'll get that and try before we fly (if we're going to have a reaction to it I'd rather find out before we go). Nowhere seemed to have the slow release stuff.

I'm a bit discouraged by the news about the tse-tse flies! Nothing stops them? Is the bite painful/itchy, or is their main issue that they can carry sleeping sickness? Or both!

Ah well, all part of the safari experience I suppose!
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 04:25 PM

Hi enthusiast,

The problem with the tetse flies is the bite is painful - as I mentioned, very similar to a horse fly. I had 2 nieces with me that trip, 17 and 18, and in the end we closed all the windows and killed all the flies inside. It was getting past the mud areas which was very slow going. In the drier open areas we didn't have the same problem.

Kind regards,

Kaye
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 09:42 PM

I'm told Bushman repellent is pretty good but I've never tried it. It's marketed in South Africa as well as Australia, so maybe that means something. www.bushman-repellent.com You could see if it works as well as they claim, then let the rest of us know
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Bushman is the brand I got, so will let you know.

I just read in my guide to wildlife that one theory on why the zebra has stripes is to escape the tse-tse flies. The theory is that the flies' multiple eyes are confused and cannot detect their outline.

So maybe I should dress up in striped clothes Of course, I would probably need to wear a tail and gallop around a bit too.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 10:49 PM

Yeah, close to the local pride

Let's know how the Bushman goes.

John
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 01:16 AM

I use Bushman's regularly (I'm from Sydney) when I go fishing in the NT (Australia) and PNG. I haven't tested it on tetse flies however it repels the best mozzies and sand/horse flies that these two areas can produce. ;-)
Cheers
Marc