Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Where should I spend my 50th birthday? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/where-should-i-spend-my-50th-birthday-43612/)

Anne May 5th, 1999 04:27 PM

Where should I spend my 50th birthday?

<BR>Please help me decide where I should spend my 50th birthday? I'll have about 10 to 14 days for vacation and will be traveling alone. I'd love to go somewhere exotic for at least a couple of days. Please give me some suggestions. My birthday is in June.

elvira May 10th, 1999 04:11 PM

As a woman of the same age, I recommend Morocco. My sister (who is two years younger) and I spent 2 wonderful weeks touring the country...on our own. The only formalized tour we took was the trek into the Sahara on camels for an overnight stay with Berbers at an oasis. <BR>There's also a posting "Stellarossa is back from Egypt...". He's travelled a lot and his posting is excellent. Email me, or stellarossa, if you'd details on a trip to North Africa...

Tony Hughes May 11th, 1999 06:42 AM

If i only give one piece of advice it's this: Don't visit the male toilet at the Sphinx ... Full details in my story 'Money For Nothing' by Tony Hughes, available free too anyone that asks for it.

Jodi May 25th, 1999 06:24 PM

I went to Egypt alone in February, at the age of 64 and had a fabulous time! After three days alone, needing to be in Abu Simbal for February 22, and the joined a tour. It turned out to be a tour of one, me, and this was not as off putting as I first feared! A week on the Nile was just right....the rest of the time I was in Cairo, Abu Simbel, and never did get time to go to Alexandria. I never felt alone, out of place or uncomfortable. It was SO foregn, SO exotic and such a delight! It is easy to say "No, thank you." in Arabic to ward off the perpetual "sellers" but that is part of the charm of this very different place...after all, you are going to be a half a century old and that is pretty marvelous, so go on the Nile, buy yourself a gold cartouche, and have a lovely time. <BR>By the way, Happy Birthday!

Kath Apr 13th, 2000 08:27 AM

Where did you end up going? <BR>Have you ever gone with any of the UK tour groups, e.g. Explore? I'm planning a trip alone (but in a group!) to Madagascar next month. <BR> <BR>Kath

Lee Apr 13th, 2000 02:49 PM

Hi Anne, <BR> <BR>Had to smile when I read your question because it brought back wonderful memories. I returned after 27 years to Florence for my 5oth three years ago (Paris for 40th). It was everything and more than I remembered-magnificent art & architecture, delicious food & wine, charming hosts at assorted pensiones, great weather and totally safe. If you haven't been to Italy, I would highly recommend it. Morocco was definitely amazing, but I would not have wanted to be a woman alone there. <BR>In 10 to 14 days you could see so much. Gazing on Michelangelo's David, buying goodies in the great San Lorenzo street market and sipping wine at the end of the day in the gardens of the Pitti Palace, looking down on beautiful Florence, was well worth turning 50 for!

Anne Apr 13th, 2000 05:01 PM

<BR>Thanks for the advice. I ended up taking a totally different trip than I originally considered. I went to Asia for 3 weeks and loved every minute of it! Started out in Cambodia (would return in a heart beat), then flew to Bangkok for a couple of days before getting on the Orient Express train to Singapore. Then headed to Bali for a week. Every single destinayion was special.

THAV Nov 27th, 2001 11:35 AM

Hi Anne,<BR>Did you went to see Angkor Wat? Wasn't it grand? I will be in Cambodia this Christmas.