Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Where should I buy safari clothes? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/where-should-i-buy-safari-clothes-559075/)

Dr_Andrea Sep 17th, 2005 08:56 AM

Where should I buy safari clothes?

Can anyone recommend a store or online site that sells nice safari clothes? TIA

matnikstym Sep 17th, 2005 09:31 AM

I got some things from:
www.tagsafari.com
Dennis

treasuresofafrica Sep 17th, 2005 09:32 AM

Nice safari clothes can be found in most major cities, but the best and quickest way to shop is online. Check this out:
TRAVEL SMITH -www.travelsmith.com
ORVIS - www.orvis.com
LEWIS & CONGER - www.lewisconger.com
MAGELLAN'S - www.magellans.com
LAND'S END - www.landsend.com
These companies sell all kinds of nifty and really useful travel accessories too. I have purchased from all of them and used everything. Be sure you order at least a few weeks prior to your trip, in case the size is wrong. Have fun! Don't forget a sweatshirt or a jacket and a hat, as well as long pants and long sleeve. Take your anti-malarial meds too!
Above all don't forget a pair of binoculars for everyone, and a camera and notebook. By the way, are you going on safari, or just like the safari look?

linjudy Sep 17th, 2005 09:37 AM

After spending quite a bit of time worried about clothing, my experience was you really don't need any special clothes at all.

But if you have problems finding khaki/olive women's shirts, boy's tshirts at REI work great and much cheaper.

Judy

sandi Sep 17th, 2005 09:38 AM

You can check:

Travel Smith
Magellen's
REI

who have comfortable travel clothing, some geared towards Safari. However, it's just as easy to go with what you're comfortable in - safari colors: tan, khaki, brown - slacks, skirts, shirts,, t-shirts, jackets. That's not to say that for evenings you can't brighten up slacks/skirts with great scarves or chunky jewelry (for you, not hubby, LOL!)

With few exceptions, even at the high-end lodges/camps, nobody looked as if they walked off the pages of Harpers or Vogue. Those that did, actually and comically, looked out of place.

Comfort and interchangeability is what's most important. The above suppliers offer clothing, but more importantly, light weight, crushable items that serve well when there is no iron around... though most of the places you'll be visiting offer laundry service.

However, alot of the clothing offered are synthetics, so you'll have to decide whether you want natural fibre cotton, linen or silk for yourself. But an important indispensible item is a wide brim hat, as the sun can be brutal... and sunglasses.

Happy shopping.

welltraveledbrit Sep 17th, 2005 09:54 AM

I'm with Judy on this one. I've never been keen on the idea of buying special clothing for any kind of travelling.

I like alot of neutral colours when I travel (shades of khaki, creams, brown etc.)so things go togther. I've found linen and cottons stand up to the somewhat rigorous hand washing you find at many camps and throughout Southern Africa.

You can be sure that the guides and trackers didn't buy their stuff at the high end "safari" shop. I agree that anyone dressed for a flashy resort look out of place on safari but I also think that people dressed head to toe in obviously brand new "safari" gear look rather silly too. Sorry :)

Sunglasses, like binoculars and a hat are a necessity and depending when you go a fleece or jumper may be good. I like lightweight long trousers, even in the heat because I feel cooler in them(the sun isn't shining directly on your skin) but I know others prefer shorts.

Good Luck finding what works for you.

bat Sep 17th, 2005 10:04 AM

Hi Sandi:

I recall that you recommend taking a fleece jacket even when traveling in "summer" (TZ in Feb)for the crater, early morning drives, etc. I was looking on line at REI and elsewhere and I see mention of "lightweight" polartec-100 and "middleweight"-200.

Is the 100 weight the correct one for that time of year or would you go middleweight?
Thanks.

bat Sep 17th, 2005 10:05 AM

Did not mean to slight anyone. I happened to see Sandi's post before I added my question. All opinions are welcome.

JanGoss Sep 17th, 2005 10:15 AM

bat:

I purchased a 200 weight Polartec fleece jacket at Eastern Mountain Sports several years ago prior to one of my safaris and I take it each time. Last month at Amboseli I not only wore the fleece jacket but wore a long-sleeved sweater under it.

Jan

sandi Sep 17th, 2005 10:16 AM

bat -

I"ve looked at Polartec but don't wear this myself. I just don't like the fabric, so can't comment re weight. I've used fleece, a heavy cardigan or crewneck, even a jean jacket... so it's a personal preference. And, of course, it's a good idea, regardless, where you are in Africa - layers, layers, layers - so as the temps warm, you can peel off whatever isn't needed.

Also, though it might be the warmer months for daytime temp, if doing game drives in open vehicles, where, when the driver hauls butt across the reserves, the wind picks up quite a bit - a hat, scarf, socks and gloves are very good ideas. They don't take up much room when packing. Even though blankets are often provided when in open vehicles, you can't always depend that they will be warm enough or you can wrap them around in such a way and still have hands free to use your cameras.

bat Sep 17th, 2005 10:22 AM

thanks Jan and sandi

bwanamitch Sep 17th, 2005 01:08 PM

QUITE OFF TOPIC

17 hours and counting...

I've just begun packing... I wonder whether should I wear Wilderness or Kwando shirts in Zambia? :-?

Well, I only had those questions re safari clothes before my first safari. In nearly all of the upmarket camps I found a good selection of T-shirts, shirts, polo shirts, shorts, trousers, skirts... all pure cotton and pleasant to wear. These are great souvenirs and I'm wearing them on each subsequent safari. I found even fleeces in those shops (at Kwando and WS in Botswana). Nowadays I always contact the operators before my trip, ask for their branded clothes, tell them my size and request that they re-stock before I arrive.

Mitch

benidormaardvark Sep 17th, 2005 01:13 PM

What about your 'nice' Tusker t-shirt?
((S))

Kavey Sep 17th, 2005 01:25 PM

I tend to go for a mix.

Where clothes designed for travel offer me a real advantage that I find useful, I'll buy them - where I can't see the point, I'll stick with regular stuff.

I love my various pairs of Rohan trousers, both the light weight ones and the slightly heavier ones. Both dry extremely quickly, don't crease much and are very comfortable. Both have useful pockets too. Infact I wear them frequently at home too - they certainly aren't just travelling trousers.

I go for regular tops - tshirts, smarter tops, jumpers and even fleeces, with the exception of a polar fleece from a ski-wear shop for the Antarctic trip.

Even at home I only buy stuff that can be machine washed and dried; nothing that's delicate in any way. So any of my regular items work fine for travel too. I exclude only the few that might take too long to dry in camp laundry, since they are often line dried, not machine dried.

Shoes wise, I adore my Brasher boots and shall certainly look for another pair from them when I buy next. I wear these everyday at home too, not just weekends/ holidays.

matnikstym Sep 17th, 2005 01:38 PM

bwana~you say the cotton skirts are pleasant to wear? I'd like to see a picture of that!!
:S-

bwanamitch Sep 17th, 2005 01:50 PM

Dennis, that's the advantage of solo traveling - no surprised photo shots by your partner when you are in a more unusual situation... :-P

benidormaardvark Sep 17th, 2005 01:53 PM

Mmmm, should I pack my colorful 'spanish town' shorts? Maybe it drives the tsetses away...
((S))

bat Sep 17th, 2005 02:00 PM

. . . or does it attract them?

I think you should start your own safari clothes line--the "Bwana Mitch" line--you can sell them on the portal site. You could name certain items for other fodorites--the "Rocco vest" for example.

Leely Sep 17th, 2005 02:04 PM

The Bwana Khanga. I'd buy one.

Have a great trip!!!

sandi Sep 17th, 2005 02:08 PM

I love my Tusker t-shirt!